Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ls7 clutch install *need help*

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation ls7 clutch install *need help*

ok, im going to be installing an ls7 flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. is there anything else i will need or should get? motor is an 02 ls1/t56, drill mod has been done.

I was wondering about the pilot bearing, someone said use an ls1 needle style? where do i get a new one?

also i was wonering on a lightened flywheel, who sells them? about how much? any ups or downs to them?

also if there is a step by step pictures or video somewhere does anyone know about it? Im just wondering how big of a job it will be, does the trans need to completely come out?

thanks everyone!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get the bearing at a dealer. as for the job it self. It is pretty easy. Remove your shifter, unplug your hydrolic line, unclip the wiring harnesses, drain the trans, unbolt the torq are at the trans and remove the crossmember, remove the trans and then the clutch. Then reverse that.

Make sure you jack the car up pretty high. Do you have a trans jack? If not, you can bench press the trans like I did.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrhzk35404
You can get the bearing at a dealer. as for the job it self. It is pretty easy. Remove your shifter, unplug your hydrolic line, unclip the wiring harnesses, drain the trans, unbolt the torq are at the trans and remove the crossmember, remove the trans and then the clutch. Then reverse that.

Make sure you jack the car up pretty high. Do you have a trans jack? If not, you can bench press the trans like I did.
do you have to remove the exhaust to get the trans out?

i can get a trans jack.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i didnt remove my exhaust. a trans jack would be a big help.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

This was helpful:
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ch_install.htm

I removed my Y pipe for better access.

You can stick a flat head screwdriver in the E-brake to release the spring and get it to stand up without tension on it.

I drained the tranny fluid before removing to make it lighter and also avoid a spill.

Buy a new GM slave. It's a wear item, you need to replace it. It comes with a new TO bearing.

When putting it all back together re-attach the slave hydraulic line before you try to tighten down the trans/bellhousing bolts (to avoid trying to compress fluids).

Be careful of the oil seal/plug behind the pilot bearing. If you bang it while swapping the pilot you will have an oil leak.

Good time to change the rear main seal. The new style seal is easy to install, get it from the dealer. I was told to install it completely dry and it has sealed well (knock on wood).

SDPC (sdparts.com) sells the aluminum flywheels for the LS7 clutch & pressure plate. I have the regular (heavy) steel LS2 flywheel and no complaints. Maybe next time I will try the aluminum one.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by massls1guy

Good time to change the rear main seal. The new style seal is easy to install, get it from the dealer. I was told to install it completely dry and it has sealed well (knock on wood).
I wouldnt touch it if it isnt leaking.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

The bearing is readily available at the dealer (as mentioned) and if you want an aluminum flywheel we offer the SC66A-2 which is intended to work with an OE (or aftermarket OE based clutch kit). If you are interested in the flywheel you are welcome to give me a call. I can be reached at the number below. Thanks,
Old 10-08-2009, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the throwout bearing and pilot bearing i should get are for the ls1 clutch right not the ls7 right? i need to order them tomorrow!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:46 AM
FormerVendor

As long as you are using an LS1 motor and transmission than yes you should use the LS1 TOB and Pilot bearing. I have these on the shelf as well so just let me know if you need them. Thanks,