Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 winding noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation T56 winding noise

i just started hearing a winding noise tonight on my way home... i cant figure out what it is... the winding sound's pitch get higher the faster you go... the transmission was rebuilt 4 years ago but has been in service for only 2 years... i just recently replaced the shaft seal in the back of the trans(about 3 months ago) bc it was leaking a bit... when i replaced the seal the trans fluid was full... i took a look at that tonight when i got home and it looked dry... any ideas of what it is?????
Old 09-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Banned

Does it make noise in 4th gear?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by marine4life
i just started hearing a winding noise tonight on my way home... i cant figure out what it is... the winding sound's pitch get higher the faster you go... the transmission was rebuilt 4 years ago but has been in service for only 2 years... i just recently replaced the shaft seal in the back of the trans(about 3 months ago) bc it was leaking a bit... when i replaced the seal the trans fluid was full... i took a look at that tonight when i got home and it looked dry... any ideas of what it is?????

Well, noises are very hard to diagnose over teh net. since we can't obviously "hear" them.
That being said, it could be bearings on teh way out (low fluid level, or extreme high mileage, as MOST rebuilds do NOT replace bearings)
Could be gear mesh (excessive clearance)
Ujoints (you SURE noise is coming from tranny)?
Rear end (again, you SURE noise is from tranny)?
Noise in ALL gears (1-6 and reverse)?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, noises are very hard to diagnose over teh net. since we can't obviously "hear" them.
That being said, it could be bearings on teh way out (low fluid level, or extreme high mileage, as MOST rebuilds do NOT replace bearings)
Could be gear mesh (excessive clearance)
Ujoints (you SURE noise is coming from tranny)?
Rear end (again, you SURE noise is from tranny)?
Noise in ALL gears (1-6 and reverse)?
the noise is a gradual noise as your speeding up... i usually can hear it slightly when i hit 50 mph and really noticable at 90 mph... the gear range doesnt matter what gear it is... i know its not the rear end... as for the u-joints i dont think it is...
Old 09-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Staging Lane

ok so i checked my diff fluid level and it was fine ... but it was metallic gray and felt gritty but i didnt see anything in it... i just had it rebuilt a year and some change ago too... is that the bearings in the diff going bad then????
Old 09-30-2009, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

ok so i checked my diff fluid level and it was fine ... but it was metallic gray and felt gritty but i didnt see anything in it... i just had it rebuilt a year and some change ago too... is that the bearings in the diff going bad then????
Thats certainly what it sounds like to me. How much metal was on that magnant off the rear diff cover?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Banned

Could have a pinion bearing going south inside the unit.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:51 PM
FormerVendor

yeah, that is not a good sign. Change the fluid, pop teh cover off and then you will be able to see how bad it REALLY is, and report back...

Originally Posted by bmartin8
Thats certainly what it sounds like to me.

Yeah, more than likely...

Originally Posted by thesource
Could have a pinion bearing going south inside the unit.

Very good possibility...
Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

my car has that whining noise as well. but i think its my belts or the fuel pump. cause when its at an idle it does it in neutral in idle. when i drive it tends to get a bit louder the whining that is, so its either my belts up front or my fuel pump.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

so... my trans (t56) just started making this noise as well but it is only 5th and 6th gear... and it is intermittent. I can make it go away by shifting 4th and then back to 5th or 6th again. There is some random clunking under load associated with the whine noise. is this time for a rebuild?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johawk
so... my trans (t56) just started making this noise as well but it is only 5th and 6th gear... and it is intermittent. I can make it go away by shifting 4th and then back to 5th or 6th again. There is some random clunking under load associated with the whine noise. is this time for a rebuild?

make sure the clunking noise is realy the tranny. it can be the mount going bad. or the y hititng the floor.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:53 AM
On The Tree

Ohhh its the trans. new trans and torque arm mounts and stock Y. plenty of clearance. I can feel and hear this clunking thru the Pro5.0

Quick Reply: T56 winding noise