Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

CTS-V M12 to fit behind a LS1, what needs to be changed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTS-V M12 to fit behind a LS1, what needs to be changed?

I'm doing an upgrade (billet keys, bronze fork pads, steel 3-4 fork) to a 2004 M12 CTS-V T56 to fit behind a LS1 truck. Since the M12 came behind the LS6 in the CTS-V, I would think it would be a straight forward fit. I think the input shaft is the same but when I checked the mid plate part #'s (GM) between the F-body and the CTS-V, they were 2 different #'s. Now I don't know if it will fit.

Has anybody done this or used one behind a LS1 truck application? I know the tailshaft housing along with the output shaft has to be swapped out but since I'm going through the trans anyway that will not be an issue.

thesource, 85MikeTPI and Gen414 please chime in.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The midplate is different because the CTSv has the shifter detent there, not in the guide-plate area by the CAGS. The CTSv slave also has a lip on it, and the midplate is machined to accept it. Finally, the CTSv slave routes the hyd through the bellhousing, not through the midplate, so it's not clearanced for the quick-connect of an fbody slave.

The CTSv input is 1/2" shorter than an fbody LS1. The LS6 pilot bearing in the crank will make up the difference though.

The Fbody slave will fit on the CTSv, it just doesn't use the machined lip and the TOB still locates in the same location on the input shaft splines as the CTSv slave.

There's issues with the tailhousing conversion also that need to be addressed.. Such as the lost of detent that has to be put back in with a Fbody guide-plate, guide-lever and shift rail. Depending on the Model year CTSv, there may be mainshaft differences between it and the GTO mainshaft needed for the tailhousing conversion. Small parts like the VSS reluctor are different and you need one from an Fbody/GTO.

On a lighter note, the CTSv should already have billet 1,2 keys and a steel 3,4 fork... ;-)

HTH
mike
Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
The midplate is different because the CTSv has the shifter detent there, not in the guide-plate area by the CAGS. The CTSv slave also has a lip on it, and the midplate is machined to accept it. Finally, the CTSv slave routes the hyd through the bellhousing, not through the midplate, so it's not clearanced for the quick-connect of an fbody slave.

The CTSv input is 1/2" shorter than an fbody LS1. The LS6 pilot bearing in the crank will make up the difference though.

The Fbody slave will fit on the CTSv, it just doesn't use the machined lip and the TOB still locates in the same location on the input shaft splines as the CTSv slave.

There's issues with the tailhousing conversion also that need to be addressed.. Such as the lost of detent that has to be put back in with a Fbody guide-plate, guide-lever and shift rail. Depending on the Model year CTSv, there may be mainshaft differences between it and the GTO mainshaft needed for the tailhousing conversion. Small parts like the VSS reluctor are different and you need one from an Fbody/GTO.

On a lighter note, the CTSv should already have billet 1,2 keys and a steel 3,4 fork... ;-)

HTH
mike
Thanks Mike, I knew you were the MAN! I guess it would be better to just convert a LT1 T56 to LS1 specs. Just an input shaft and the midplate....

Oh, the CTSV (also the Vettes) has powder metal 1-2 keys by the way, they look the same as billet keys.

Quick Reply: CTS-V M12 to fit behind a LS1, what needs to be changed?