Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Rebuild and clutch replacement at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Rebuild and clutch replacement at the same time?

I have a 2002 Z28 with 85,000 miles with a T56 transmission that is driven daily.

There is some grinding if I shift into 2nd gear without carefully matching the revs. This has been happening for almost a year now so I had been using 2nd gear a lot less in daily driving and shifting into 3rd from 1st a lot of the time instead.

More recently it's starting to get a bit difficult to get into 3rd gear. Most of the time now when shifting into 3rd I may have to wait a second or two and then it just pops in nice and easy, usually by the time the revs drop down to around 1000-1200.

Shifting into 4th, 5th and 6th gears seem fine for the most part although I would say sometimes it isn't smooth as it was when the car was new. Sometimes 1st or reverse require slightly more effort to shift into from a stop but it's not major.

From reading on the forums it sounds like I might need new syncros and I was thinking maybe it's time to have my T56 rebuilt locally and order some parts from D&D Performance ahead of time for the rebuild:

* BS45 Complete Syncro Rebuild Kit (with carbon fibre blocker rings)
* BS47 Billet T-56 3-4 Inserts
* BS14B Bronze T-56 1-2 and 3-4 Fork Pads
* BS6 Steel T-56 3-4 Shift Fork

Is there anything else that should be replaced during a rebuild that I could order ahead of time? Or do you pretty much need to take a look at everything once the transmission is out of the car? Since I am in Canada it would help if I could order any necessary parts ahead of time as there would be a delay going through customs if I ordered them from D&D once the rebuild had been started.

Does it sound like I need a rebuild of my T56? Or are the symptoms possibly clutch related?

Since I have 85,000 miles on the factory clutch does it make any sense to change it at the same time? (ie. does it save a lot of labour if I do it at the same time as a transmission rebuild)? I was thinking when the time comes to change the clutch to upgrade to the LS7 clutch, but would prefer to wait until it's worn out. Based on the mileage could the clutch possibly last up to a total of 100,000 miles or more?

I was also wondering about replacing the clutch master and slave cylinders. Would that be something to change while rebuilding the transmission as a preventative measure? Or could I wait and just do it when I change the clutch down the road?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 PM
FormerVendor

Well, it appears you have a 2nd and 3rd gear synchro problem. The parts listed are the correct parts that you will need. Also, you might want to wait, as you MIGHT need 2nd and 3rd gear themselves as well. Probaly NOT, but hard to know until you get in there.
So, more than likely it is JUST teh synchro's.

Yes, would do teh clutch at this time (85K on stock clutch, is living on borrowed time anyways...)

You can check out pricing on the parts you are looking for, for your T56, as I sell them as well, right here:

http://www.morrismotorsports.net/t56_parts_for_sale

And, if in need of a clutch, I can help you there as well.

http://www.morrismotorsports.net/mon...hes_levels_i-v

Any questions, just a phone call/PM/email away.
Thanks
Old 10-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, it appears you have a 2nd and 3rd gear synchro problem. The parts listed are the correct parts that you will need. Also, you might want to wait, as you MIGHT need 2nd and 3rd gear themselves as well. Probaly NOT, but hard to know until you get in there.
So, more than likely it is JUST teh synchro's.

Yes, would do teh clutch at this time (85K on stock clutch, is living on borrowed time anyways...)

You can check out pricing on the parts you are looking for, for your T56, as I sell them as well, right here:

http://www.morrismotorsports.net/t56_parts_for_sale

And, if in need of a clutch, I can help you there as well.

http://www.morrismotorsports.net/mon...hes_levels_i-v

Any questions, just a phone call/PM/email away.
Thanks
Thanks, that helps a lot!

If I am unable to have it rebuilt locally and have to ship it, do you rebuild T56's at your shop?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kevinkr
Thanks, that helps a lot!

If I am unable to have it rebuilt locally and have to ship it, do you rebuild T56's at your shop?

Most definitely. We offer the Level 2 rebuild (using the parts you listed above). PM coming
Old 10-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Please send me a quote 2. i'm having the same issue.

Quick Reply: T56 Rebuild and clutch replacement at the same time?