Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

looking for a good twin disc at a good price.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looking for a good twin disc at a good price.

i am looking for a good twin disc at a good price. i need it to hold 800+ ft.lbs. as my new turbo will hit around there. it is a daily driver however and it won't be at 800+ all the time. i have looked into a couple and tick performance has been really helpful but as always a second opinion or two never hurts. does anyone have a zoom clutch or any thoughts on them? i was considering the spec twin disc or the mccleod otherwise.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Ditto. Interested in hearing the input.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We run the Mcleod RXT's and SPEC PT series for those power levels.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

same clutches i am looking at. i guess i need to know what a good price for those would be as well.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

Though I am sure I could be called biased I would suggest our Super-Twin assemblies. We offer 4 different versions with torque capacities ranging from 900lb.-ft to nearly 1800lb.-ft at the crank. These are extremely drivable and are great for use at the track too. Take a look at the link below and let me know if you have any further questions.

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy...002/Super_Twin

It's worth noting that these kits are designed as twin-discs from the start and are comprised of a Billet Aluminum Cover, Billet Steel Friction surfaces and that they are available with either a Steel or Aluminum Flywheel. We do not modify a single-disc pressure-plate to accept a second disc and these kits do not require you to regularly modify a shimmed pressure-plate to maintaint consistent engagement and performance (this is what many others require with their kits).
Old 10-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

yeah jeremy i had talked with you a while back. i just still haven't made up my mind. i wanted to hear people that had them in their cars and how much they spent.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

It's been asked before with no results, but does anyone have anything to say (good or bad) about the fidanza twin?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

come on i know people have these clutches...so why not help out and say how you like them. i mean there's 14 pages on a damn shifter on here.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about RPS street twin or street twin lite ?? I just got mine and once it was broken it the clutch performed amazing. I only make 541 rwhp 505 rwtq N/a but she held a 1.71 60 foot time, too bad the diff broke. Oh well such is racing.

If the holding capacity is great enough for your application then I suggest it. Ron at Vengeance Racing is an authorized dealer and offers very competetive pricing. Give him a call (the number is in my sig) and tell him Doug sent ya. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

so mr. clutchmax i see you just joined and i am guessing you are a rep. of this company. how many of these clutches have been sold? do you have an introductory/ls1tech or heck even a military price?
Old 10-07-2009, 02:58 PM
FormerVendor

RPS or Textralia all the way!!!! That being said....Do NOT listen to what vendors tell you on this forum with regard clutches.. Go with PERSONAL experience from individuals who actually drive these clutches in their vehicles. We have used most every clutch on the market and some are what they claim and simply put... others arent.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 PM
FormerVendor

Ron, I know that you all have bought some parts from us in the past but I have no recond of ever selling you a Super-Twin so I think its safe to assume that your statement wasn't aimed at me. I agree that individuals with experience can certainly provide good information. Of course it's also worth reminding everyone that reviews are subjective and a lot of factors impact ones opinion. I have driven our Super-Twin assemblies in a number of application and have never been let down buy the smoothness or capacity and countless others, that fall into the "end user" catagory, that post here regularly would agree.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:35 PM
FormerVendor

Jeremy, while my comments were not aimed at Spec clutches I will say when your clutches work, they work great... The problem we have seen over the years with Spec is out of five clutches 2 might engage properly and shift in the upper RPMs without issue on the FIRST install... While others require removal/installation/shims etc etc to work properly.

That being said, we have not ordered any "Super Twins" as we are completely happy with the RPS clutches supporting the power levels we are producing... We recently completed an 1147rwhp C6 Z06 and used an RPS triple disc that drove like a stock LS7 clutch and never blinked an eye at the 1300HP it was seeing at the crank.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

Ron, though it may not matter to you at this point, we have sold thousands (20,000 to be exact) of our single-disc clutch kits over the years and there are countless users that swear by them. I hate that you had an issue and if there is anything I can do to help you in the future I will. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

hey ron pm me a price on both the textralia and the rps. i was already heavily considering the textralia.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Restricted User

For every user that has liked a spec there are just as many that have hated it. That is not exactly a good ratio and everyone that I have talked to whether it be in person or on other forums hates the drivability of the spec super twin. I would try searching this section for a clutch you think you might like and read as much as you can about it.. the good and bad.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:40 PM
FormerVendor

FMS...though I can certainly appreciate your perspective I think that it is a bit myopic. You seem to distort the facts...as there are thousands of happy SPEC customers that have used our Single and Multi-Disc offerings. Remember the members of this forum or merely a cross section of the total LS market, and even when looking at LS1tech as a representation of the whole, the majority of users that have our product are happy with it. If you would like to have any of these folks that you have heard from (relative to the Super-Twin or any of our parts for that matter) contact me I will be happy to assist them. Or if you have any questions of your own let me know as I am always willing to help!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

How many of those 20,000 clutches have blown up and come apart? More than a handful that is for sure. This was a Vette problem for a long time... and was not resolved fast enuf.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To add to my post.We never recommend clutches that we haven't tested first.
For Spec,we ran 2 of there testing Supertwins and about 4 since.The 2 testers are still in the cars making 800+rwhp each.None of the other ones have failed. So they work very good BUT you have to pay attention to the install and measuring the air gap between the clutch and slave.(you should do this with every clutch.)

The other clutch we use is the Mcleod RXT's for high hp setup's.Very light peddle pressure,stockish drivability and are taking 900hp no problem so far -I say so far because they are still fairly new.

Right now we do not use RPS's due to problems I had with it in my personal car a few years back and lack of customer support then.

We've had great luck with the Monster single's this year.They are taking serious track abuse but no long term on them since they are a new product too.

Failures -I've seen alot of them and from all clutch companies.Clutches can break and some will.Alot of times it's caused by the driver,the biggest is slipping the clutch doing a burnout instead of popping the peddle out.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

gnx, Again opinions are varied based on experience and knowledge of the situation. Clutch kits do not simply grenade for no reason. The most common causes for an issue like this would be incorrect installation (i.e. not torqued and thus not secured properly) and mis-shifting (3-2 or 5-4 shifts) where the unit is effectively slung apart as it rebounds relative to the mechanical over-rev. Though it is rare, I have also seen a a clutch that was snatched apart on the dyno where the clutch was essentially used to break the drum. Any of the above possibilities would damage any clutch that was being used at the time. I am not interested in a pissing match but it's always interesting to see how "relative truth" is spread like gospel! If you have any further questions you are welcome to contact me directly. Thanks and have a great weekend.

Quick Reply: looking for a good twin disc at a good price.