Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

locking gear other than broke key or shifter adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locking gear other than broke key or shifter adjustment

Like the title says, what other than a broken key or incorrect shifter adjustment can cause a tranny to lock? The first time was due to my stops not being correctly adjusted. Then I adjusted them right and put about 3k on the tranny with lots of hard shifting. Then all of a sudden it wants to lock again. Took the tranny apart and the keys are not broke either. It just seems like the outter ring of the three four synchro keeps sliding over the keys. Both times were when I decided to punch from third though, dont know if that makes a difference.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fork pads tore up? Bent shift fork?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bigjakester
Like the title says, what other than a broken key or incorrect shifter adjustment can cause a tranny to lock? The first time was due to my stops not being correctly adjusted. Then I adjusted them right and put about 3k on the tranny with lots of hard shifting. Then all of a sudden it wants to lock again. Took the tranny apart and the keys are not broke either. It just seems like the outter ring of the three four synchro keeps sliding over the keys. Both times were when I decided to punch from third though, dont know if that makes a difference.

Could be shifter rail binding up as well, and/or the "linkage" worn out.

BUt what is weird is, you say after you adjusted shifter stops, it shifts fine for 3K miles? Have you tried adjusting them again??
Old 10-07-2009, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

I rebuilt the tranny 3k ago and replaced both shift rails and put all new brass pads on everything but the reverse synchro. I hadnt messed with the stops since the time i correctly adjusted them. I have the tranny out and mostly apart and it is sitting in my basement right now. everything looks alright to me. Is it possible that the "knub" on the keys just doesnt stick out far enough and is letting the outter ring slide over. No matter what before I put it back in I am getting billet keys this time. The tranny already had a steel fork in it when I got it and guess I will check that out this time to see if it is bent. I was also having problems engaging third gear. I would shift into third but it seemed like it never went in and the stick would pop back and kind of flutter a bit. so id just put the car in neutral and try it again and it would usually go into gear on the third or fourth try and wouldnt pop out once in. So I really have no idea, maybe it could be a bent fork. This tranny has been a complete pain in my *** and apparently the previous owner had a few problems as well.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bigjakester
I rebuilt the tranny 3k ago and replaced both shift rails and put all new brass pads on everything but the reverse synchro. I hadnt messed with the stops since the time i correctly adjusted them. I have the tranny out and mostly apart and it is sitting in my basement right now. everything looks alright to me. Is it possible that the "knub" on the keys just doesnt stick out far enough and is letting the outter ring slide over. No matter what before I put it back in I am getting billet keys this time. The tranny already had a steel fork in it when I got it and guess I will check that out this time to see if it is bent. I was also having problems engaging third gear. I would shift into third but it seemed like it never went in and the stick would pop back and kind of flutter a bit. so id just put the car in neutral and try it again and it would usually go into gear on the third or fourth try and wouldnt pop out once in. So I really have no idea, maybe it could be a bent fork. This tranny has been a complete pain in my *** and apparently the previous owner had a few problems as well.

Well, it could be 3rd gear and/or 3rd gear synchro (if popping out of 3rd like you say). Check the linkage on the fork itelf..the key way...it can "wallow" out the fork, but if you have a steel one, I doubt it.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had an odd problem like this, that turned out to be a bent synchro hub. It appears to be warped/bent during the last rebuild when it must have been pulled/pressed off at a bad angle.. Might want to go ahead and drop dime on a completely new synchro assembly and throw your billet keys in all at one time.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Ya I was planning on replacing the whole synchro just waiting for the money to do so. I was wanting to do it though because I was worried that with it overshifting twice the keys might have messed up the indentations on the inner side of the ring. Well I will do that and see what happens and hope like hell that the thing doesnt overshift again.