Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Did I blow my clutch or is it something more serious?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I blow my clutch or is it something more serious?

It started when I noticed a slight reverberation or jarring sound I noticed coming from my car when I started off in 1st. It sounded almost like my exhaust was just a hair loose at the collector of the header. I didn't think much of it until I realized it only made this sound when I was in gear, didn't make a sound if I was in neutral and no load was on the drivetrain. Then a few days back I did a hard downshift from 5th to 3rd and that's when something gave way. The car will now shift fine into all gears and I can get it rolling easy too, starts off like there's no problem. However, when I give it more than just a little gas I get this grinding sound and I can feel it throughout the car too. I'm not sure if my clutch is almost completely shot, that's why it will grab as long as not too much power is shooting through it or what. The car seems to shift smoothly into all gears but when too much of load is placed on the drivetrain (like going up a hill or just accelerating normally) I get that grinding noise and slipping. The RPM's will climb but the power won't transfer to the wheels. I'm no mechanic but I know a enough to keep my cars running without running to the mechanic usually. Most of the people I've talked to say it sounds like the clutch is shot but I'd reallly like some opinions from here. Also, I'd like it if anybody could recommend a good replacement clutch, if that's the case. My car is bone stock so nothing high end is needed. I don't mind upgrading, I want at least an equivalent to a stock replacement. I'd like to keep it under 500 for parts since money is a little tight for me at the moment. I plan to do this job myself too, sort of learn as I go as I've done in the past so any information you guys could provide on the install will be greatly appreciated. If I haven't described the problem well enough let me know if I need to elaborate. If it comes down to it I can even make a small video so you guys can get an exact idea of whats wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:11 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BAN WS6
It started when I noticed a slight reverberation or jarring sound I noticed coming from my car when I started off in 1st. It sounded almost like my exhaust was just a hair loose at the collector of the header. I didn't think much of it until I realized it only made this sound when I was in gear, didn't make a sound if I was in neutral and no load was on the drivetrain. Then a few days back I did a hard downshift from 5th to 3rd and that's when something gave way. The car will now shift fine into all gears and I can get it rolling easy too, starts off like there's no problem. However, when I give it more than just a little gas I get this grinding sound and I can feel it throughout the car too. I'm not sure if my clutch is almost completely shot, that's why it will grab as long as not too much power is shooting through it or what. The car seems to shift smoothly into all gears but when too much of load is placed on the drivetrain (like going up a hill or just accelerating normally) I get that grinding noise and slipping. The RPM's will climb but the power won't transfer to the wheels. I'm no mechanic but I know a enough to keep my cars running without running to the mechanic usually. Most of the people I've talked to say it sounds like the clutch is shot but I'd reallly like some opinions from here. Also, I'd like it if anybody could recommend a good replacement clutch, if that's the case. My car is bone stock so nothing high end is needed. I don't mind upgrading, I want at least an equivalent to a stock replacement. I'd like to keep it under 500 for parts since money is a little tight for me at the moment. I plan to do this job myself too, sort of learn as I go as I've done in the past so any information you guys could provide on the install will be greatly appreciated. If I haven't described the problem well enough let me know if I need to elaborate. If it comes down to it I can even make a small video so you guys can get an exact idea of whats wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Well, teh ONE thing that stood out was what I highlighted above. If RPM's climb, but car sits there (or moves slowly compared to engine) then YES, clutch is slipping.
Your description I must say though, is a bit confusing, and that is why I highlighted the one thing that made the most sense to me.

Do THIS:

Go out, get going @ 35 MPH (give or take) and put in 5th or 6th gear. Floor it. See what happens. If cars bogs, or is sluggish, clutch might be OK. If motor revs, and cars sits there, then clutch is slipping.

If in need of a clutch, but you can't find anything you want for @ $500. Keep Monster in mind. At first glance, they may seem pricey, but when you add everything that comes with them, it starts to even out. (clutch disc, pressure plate, FLYWHEEL, pilot bearing, alignment tool, and with teh Premium package, you can get a new slave/throw out bearing as well and a 1 year warranty)
http://www.morrismotorsports.net/mon...hes_levels_i-v
Old 10-07-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you have a slipping clutch. Mine is doing some of the same things, and my clutch doesnt engage until the last 2 inches or so of pedal travel.

Check out the LS7 Package at Scoggin Dickey. Sounds like it might fit your needs very well. I will be going monster this winter though, because i want a serious upgrade so i dont have to dick around with it again if i add heads and cam in the future.

Quick Reply: Did I blow my clutch or is it something more serious?