Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 faceplated

Old 10-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t56 faceplated

what do you guys think of faceplated t56, its in a light car ls1 turbo, gona be street/strip car.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Banned

I'd go automatic with a turbo.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by paulkhare
what do you guys think of faceplated t56, its in a light car ls1 turbo, gona be street/strip car.
Faceplated is tough on a tranny, but you don't mention power levels.

Really, not too many reasons to go faceplated, unless this is a track only car. But since you said street/strip, I would stick with synchro's.

Our level 2 is good for @ 700HP @ track and our Level 3 is good for @ 800+ at teh track...
Old 10-15-2009, 06:56 AM
Teching In

700 whats the faults on the street, just downshifting? i dont mind shifting firm
Old 10-15-2009, 07:55 AM
CARTEK Racing

I have been driving my car around a bit last few days. Drove it to work yesterday [20 mile commute on state roads non highway] then to a job sight [50+ miles each way from the office mostly highway] then back home.

The car has a Tick Faceplated/Viper T56. It takes a little getting used to but I can now downshift w/o any horrific noises coming from the trans lol. Took all the time needed to drive back from CARTEK to my house to get used to it a few weeks ago [22miles]

Honestly, I do not see a problem with this trans on the street. I have not WOT shifted it yet but upshifts at half 3/4 throttle are redicilous. There is no way to miss a gear with this trans. What I noticed is that faster you shift it, the smoother the shift. If you dilly dally with this shifter, it will sound like everything in the world is breaking under your car, however, if you move the shifter as if you are racing, hard, chrisp fast movement, it just clicks in and you go faster lol

What I also noticed is there is no more lag in the shift. What I mean by that, is I always noticed a ever so slight delay in power coming back during a ****. I attributed it to the syncro slowing down the next gear in order to engage, I figured this took a tiny tiny bit of time. I don't know enough about transmissions to say weather or not I am right, its just an observation I have had. Now, with the face plated engagement, the power is instaly there going to the rear wheels. Now grated that when I went to the faceplated trans I also got a Tick MC and went up in HP, and for all I know this could have been in my head this whole time, but I could swear its the trans and nothing else.

Anyway, In colcusion, I think the Faceplated trans is fine for the street as long as you do not plan to drive the car 20,000 miles a year. My car is limited to weekend, occasional weekday and obviosly track use so I do not see a problem. If I have to take the trans apart every two years to de-burr the gears, Im okay with it as a maintenance issue. But it sure is fun as hell to drive!

I had promised a video from inside the car driving on the street and was planning to do it this weekend, but it looks like it will be a huge amount of rain comming so it may have to wait once again.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Teching In

thanks i feel better now ,

cant waite to see vid
Old 10-18-2009, 01:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a vid of mine. you can hear my 2-3 shift. It was NA so it was a slow pass.
You can miss a gear being faceplated. I installed a pistol grip and couldn't find any or found the wrong gear 3>2 with it. installed the stock **** and haven't missed one yet
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...t=MOV04628.flv
here is a vid with the pistol grip. I couldn't find any gears with it so this pass I was shifting about as slow as a faceplated trans will so I could make a complete pass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvvOjM_TxQ&NR=1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: t56 faceplated