Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch choice ??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch choice ??????

i have a 98' camaro z28 with a ls1 with 71000 miles on it and the original clutch ........... my problem is the slave went out so i want to change the slave , clutch , pressure plate and fly wheel and want to know what choices i have ? this is my dd for the summer and has some mods (ory , slp lid w/k&n and basic tune) . i dont think this will see any track time anytime soon so i want it to be street friendly but dont want a stock clutch going back in it just in case my mind changes on the track time
Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS7 clutch would be perfect for you. Cheaper than most others.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have 40k miles on my ls7 clutch with 413whp
Old 10-15-2009, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

Hughdog, It sounds like you would be a great candidate for our Stage 1 or Stage 2 Super-Single Clutch kits. These will provide great drivability and plenty of capacity for your needs. I have provided a link to the website relative to the LS below. Take a look and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1998/Single

Scroll down the page to the second set of information and let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Martin HD-28
LS7 clutch would be perfect for you. Cheaper than most others.

the ls7 clutch will more than meet you're needs
Old 10-15-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yup i love mine feels like stock and grabs like a ****. No chatter or shaking when ya take off and no leg workout too
Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Banned

Yup.....LS7...I've run a whole season now with 6K dumps on and off the juice and 3 years before that with less track time and more street usage.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Hughdog, It sounds like you would be a great candidate for our Stage 1 or Stage 2 Super-Single Clutch kits. These will provide great drivability and plenty of capacity for your needs. I have provided a link to the website relative to the LS below. Take a look and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1998/Single

Scroll down the page to the second set of information and let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!
i will def look into this ........ where are you located ?
Old 10-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DiabloFormula
Yup.....LS7...I've run a whole season now with 6K dumps on and off the juice and 3 years before that with less track time and more street usage.
and i will also look into a ls7 clutch .........
Old 10-18-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
i have 40k miles on my ls7 clutch with 413whp
Yea, but you claim it slips it's *** off

If you don't go to the track a LS7 clutch will be fine and drive near stock. If you go aftermarket look at Monster...they have the beast customer service HANDS DOWN and make a good product, even stand behing it with a warr.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Monster
Old 10-18-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

It only slipped when i did 9 hot lap runs speed shifting with no cool down time. Ive been ******* the crap out of it and its been fine since that night it slipped when it got hot. But i dont do one or 2 runs.

I think monster will be the next best thing! I see it beating out spec and ram! For the high HP cars! but, for mild cars ls7

This guy basically has a stock car! If you have 430whp or lower and drive ya stuff everyday you will not beat a ls7 clutch! No chatter, no leg workout, cheap, and last
Old 10-18-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, well evidently Monster is having some issues right now; i dunno wtf is up.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
. If you go aftermarket look at Monster...they have the beast customer service HANDS DOWN and make a good product, even stand behing it with a warr.
Yea, well evidently Monster is having some issues right now; i dunno wtf is up.
Well, not sure which one we should read?

And what "issue" is Monster having right now?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 AM
TECH Resident

Oh nothing....just another clutch when i went to the track yesterday. 1st pass, seems to be "welded" up won't dis-engauge. Level 6.5 in a 425/390 car throu a 9in. They do fine on the street but 1st track pass on both clutches they **** themselves. 745 miles, broken in RIGHT to the "T"; more heat cycles than i can count.
I am NOwhere pushing the limits on this clutch....NOT EVEN close.
That is why i wrote that the 2nd time.
Pissed does not describe this....
Old 10-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Oh nothing....just another clutch when i went to the track yesterday. 1st pass, seems to be "welded" up won't dis-engauge. Level 6.5 in a 425/390 car throu a 9in. They do fine on the street but 1st track pass on both clutches they **** themselves. 745 miles, broken in RIGHT to the "T"; more heat cycles than i can count.
I am NOwhere pushing the limits on this clutch....NOT EVEN close.
That is why i wrote that the 2nd time.
Pissed does not describe this....
i was told that a 3.5 or 4 monster would be the one for me and that a ls7 is just as comparable but half the price
Old 10-19-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you would have asked this question 2 months ago I would have said LS7 without a doubt. But now it appears after 3k miles that my LS7 pressure plate is having problems (either that or the slave that has 3k on it as well, I'll find out Friday when I pull the trans back out).

If I had to do it all over again I would probably get a Spec clutch. The Spec guy has been really helpful on my thread and I don't even own a Spec clutch.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

**** a spec! Sorry driven many cars with them and pulled out too many of them with low miles and i hate chatter!
Old 10-19-2009, 01:54 PM
FormerVendor

Hugh, we are in Birmingham, AL and as mentioned I would be happy to assist you. `

Sic...if you have an issue with one of our products you are welcome to contact me. As you well know there are thousands of people that use, recommend and love our product offering. Certainly, as with any product there will be those that aren't happy (this can happen whether you are selling clutches or candy) and we do our best to assist those with issues. Again, if you have a direct issue with one of our parts please feel free to contact me.

It's also worth noting that we offer a number of stages...some are more prone to chatter than others. If you have questions about what application best suits your needs we will be happy to assist you. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Hugh, we are in Birmingham, AL and as mentioned I would be happy to assist you. `

Sic...if you have an issue with one of our products you are welcome to contact me. As you well know there are thousands of people that use, recommend and love our product offering. Certainly, as with any product there will be those that aren't happy (this can happen whether you are selling clutches or candy) and we do our best to assist those with issues. Again, if you have a direct issue with one of our parts please feel free to contact me.

It's also worth noting that we offer a number of stages...some are more prone to chatter than others. If you have questions about what application best suits your needs we will be happy to assist you. Thanks!
the chatter is what i do not want ......... i bought this car from my sister with 50,xxx miles on it two years ago and she never spun the engine over 3000 rpm and from new it had a chatter to it ........

Quick Reply: clutch choice ??????