Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP! New Slave, MC, Pilot Bearing, and Clutch Disc, STILL Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP! New Slave, MC, Pilot Bearing, and Clutch Disc, STILL Problems

I had it taken to a shop today and had them bleed it. It STILL sucks! It still releases at the top of the pedal (with the tick MC adjusted all the way out). It's still hard to get in to reverse and 1st with the car on. (easy with off). I did have the flywheel resurfaced, so I'm going to pull the tranny for the FOURTH time tonight, and measure for a shim. Does anyone else have any ideas? This is WAY past old....
Old 11-16-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

There is a Tick thread that tells how to determine if you need a shim and how much. It was a pretty recent thread.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not the hydrolics.If the clutch grabs at the top of the peddle and it's hard to get into gear the problem is the clutch assembly.The pressure plate is not fully disangaging the disk,probly a bad pressure plate or the disk is too thick.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand or type of clutch do you have again? Usually releasing at the top of the pedal and drag don't go together. If the clutch engages/releases near the floor you could adjust out pedal out more to help but you say that it releases at the top.

I'd be willing to bet there is some type of issue with the pressure plate causing your problems. If our master is adjusted to the max and it still isn't getting a complete release ( hard to tell if it is or not with your description) theres deffinately something strange going on...our cylinder can actuate the slave/tob way more than a stock master. Was it you that posted a that you got the Tick Cylinder to correct this issue and you still have the issue?

As I posted the other day, a shim will probably do nothing for you. The posts I'm speaking of were in the thread by gen414 concearning our master vs. the stocker. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find it.

-Jonathan
Old 11-16-2009, 04:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
It's not the hydrolics.If the clutch grabs at the top of the peddle and it's hard to get into gear the problem is the clutch assembly.The pressure plate is not fully disangaging the disk,probly a bad pressure plate or the disk is too thick.
You beat me to it! I suppose it could be a warped disk as well. I've ran into that once with an LT1. Also, had one customer had a similar issue even after installing our master and he turned out that the clutch cover/pp was broken under one of the 6 bolts holding it to the flywheel. His problem would show up more once the clutch got a little heat into it though.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Interesting. Thanks for the response guys. How would I know if the disc is too thick? Another weird thing... it drives SO nice after it's going along through town. Just the initial 1st and reverse and high pedal. I tried "racing" a little to see how 1-2, 2-3 felt at high RPM and it did fantastic. Such a strange issue. I'm pulling it apart tonight. Well... probably halfway tonight. I'll have a look at the pressure plate and clutch disc. The clutch disc is a single Mcleod. Is there a measurement I can do to test if it IS too thick?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you ussing the Mcleod pressure plate too?

Your symptoms happen on older Mcleod twin clutches.They had to be shimmed to get the right air gap or else they would be a bitch to get into gear at a stop and the peddle would grab high.

Each brand pressure plate is made to use a certain thickness disk.Mixing up the disks/pressure plates is not a good idea without knowing the specs.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

I'm using an older Mcleod pressure plate and a new clutch disc.....
Old 11-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

what year of twin disk are we talking about. i have a year old one sitting next to me that is about to go in. will i have problems with it also?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Mine isn't a twin. Since the clutch disc is new I'd certainly hope it isn't warped. I'm about halfway into it. Tonight or tom night I'll get to see it. Pacing myself this time... since I have another daily driver now.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Flywheel Resurfaced

Originally Posted by Mike Bell
I had it taken to a shop today and had them bleed it. It STILL sucks! It still releases at the top of the pedal (with the tick MC adjusted all the way out). It's still hard to get in to reverse and 1st with the car on. (easy with off). I did have the flywheel resurfaced, so I'm going to pull the tranny for the FOURTH time tonight, and measure for a shim. Does anyone else have any ideas? This is WAY past old....
Did anybody not catch the part of the (flywheel resurfaced)? Spend the money on a new flywheel or a complete matched clutch kit and the extra money you will have spent will be well worth it in not having the aggravation of having to do everything 3-4 times and your hair turning gray, remember time is money.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Ok. Got the tranny out. What do you guys see? Anything obvious that would keep it from going into gear (1st and reverse) easily or clutch to release at the top?

Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Not sure of your problem,but while you have the trans out I would look in to a remote speed bleader from Tick. Last time mine was out I put one in,(bleeding is no longer a pain in the ***) and it works great. Good luck on your problem.