Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch (Possible master cylinder) problem, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch (Possible master cylinder) problem, need help!

The problem started last night, and as of right now, the car is undrivable, and stuck in a parking lot down the road.

The Symptoms:
- Clutch pedal depresses with no resistance til about 2 inches before the firewall.
- When the car is on, I cannot shift into any gear. There's no grinding sound, the shifter just won't budge.
- If I turn the car off, put it into gear and then try to start the car, the car turns over, fighting for rpms, but will immediately stall. It seems depressing the clutch pedal doesn't separate the clutch from the flywheel.
- Before the problem deteriorated to being totally undrivable, if I depressed the cluch all the way and let off the brake at a stop, the car would start to roll forward.

I didn't see a trace of fluid on my garage floor, though I didn't check for it when in the parking lot where the car is now. A friend of mine is saying it's probably a bad seal on the master cylinder, which I'm pretty much agreeing with. But, given my lack of experience, I would like some other input on getting my WS6 drivable again.

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

maybe the slave??
Old 11-16-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StudntDrivr
The problem started last night, and as of right now, the car is undrivable, and stuck in a parking lot down the road.

The Symptoms:
- Clutch pedal depresses with no resistance til about 2 inches before the firewall.
- When the car is on, I cannot shift into any gear. There's no grinding sound, the shifter just won't budge.
- If I turn the car off, put it into gear and then try to start the car, the car turns over, fighting for rpms, but will immediately stall. It seems depressing the clutch pedal doesn't separate the clutch from the flywheel.
- Before the problem deteriorated to being totally undrivable, if I depressed the cluch all the way and let off the brake at a stop, the car would start to roll forward.

I didn't see a trace of fluid on my garage floor, though I didn't check for it when in the parking lot where the car is now. A friend of mine is saying it's probably a bad seal on the master cylinder, which I'm pretty much agreeing with. But, given my lack of experience, I would like some other input on getting my WS6 drivable again.

Thanks a lot!
Hey, the exact same thing just happened to my car a few days ago, exactly as you described it to a T. Fortunately I was able to get it home but its immobile right now.

I have no idea what it is but for now I'm planning on a full clutch replacement plus new hydralics.

Kinda tough in your position. You might be looking at having to get it flatbedded to a shop.