Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Magnum Vs. TR6060

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
I usually just upgrade the C5 mainshaft to the G force shaft so they do not have to mess with the differential side of it.
Have you used their T56 upgrade "kit" for the C5 T56? This is the gears/main shaft/cluster shaft/extension shaft, etc...
Old 12-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS123
Have you used their T56 upgrade "kit" for the C5 T56? This is the gears/main shaft/cluster shaft/extension shaft, etc...
No, I rarely see failure with the actual gears in the Vette. 90% of the time its just the basic rebuild stuff. The other 10% of the time, the mainshaft is twisted and the tailhousing is cracked.

Name:  attachmentjsessionid190D2229B15C7D2.jpg
Views: 20187
Size:  42.3 KB
Old 12-20-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brad3579
BRD-PREY some questions I was hoping you might have some answers to as you seem very knowledgeable about these transmissions.
The $2800.00 price for the T56Magnum is out the door with no core charge?
Would the shifter location line up with a 96 SS Camaro?
Is it easy to find the clutch disc etc to fit an LT1 because of the different spline?
Thanks
Brad
Definitely NOT AN EXPERT! Just seeking answers and with facts and explanations so I can be an educated consumer. This converations is going along nicely.
Ed
Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The previous post was regarding racing! If someone were to use the trans for racing, the Viper spec T56 would be the way to go in my opinion. The TR6060 is not very forgiving trans for racing. I have seen the insides of many T56 that has seen 1/4 mile abuse and let me tell you, they hold up better than most people think.

On a side note, I know few people pushing more than 800R RWHP/RWTQ that distroyed the T56. On one, the input shaft gear (also 4th gear) and the cluster gear were sheared off. On the other, where the extension shaft meets the cluster gear were sheared off! Two of those people swapped to the C6 Z06 TR6060/C6 Z06 diff and have had very good results so far.

One last thing, the F body T56 has the 30 splined conversion with the modified Viper shaft but you can also upgrade the C5 T56 with the C6 Z06 30 splined shaft.
Yes, i know you were talking about racing. I'm not talking about upgrading a Tr6060, but a T56. My transmission is an FBody T56 (not TR6060) where the mainshaft was upgraded to a modified 31 spline shaft (not 30 spline Viper shaft). It is the exact same thing as the Viper modified deal, but with a different larger/stronger shaft.

Here is the breakdown.

* Steel 3-4 Shift Fork
* Billet 3-4 Synchronizer Keys (with upgraded springs)
* Carbon Kevlar Synchronizer (blocker) Rings
* New 1-2 Synchronizer Assembly
* New 3-4 Synchronizer Assembly
* 31 Spline Shaft Conversion
# Custom Shortened 31 spline Mainshaft
# Custom machined tailhousing
# Upgraded output shaft bushing
# Upgraded seal
# 31 spline slip yoke
# Modified Speed Reluctor

Last edited by Haans249; 12-21-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Banned

I would say that set up will take pretty much anything. I'm sure the trans cost you a small fortune.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

I would say that set up will take pretty much anything. I'm sure the trans cost you a small fortune.
Cost me the same amount as it would have cost to get my transmission done with the Viper 30 spline conversion Appariently, its one of the first conversions to be done in the country with this shaft. Used to be a sponsor on this site, but got too busy and had to pull back. He is going to be getting some more help and plans on coming back here again when he can keep up. He has another done that is holding up very nicely, I'm the second one. Should be a very nice alternative to the Viper conversions that are being done and hold a bit more power.

He said that a good comparison between the two is the following: When shortening the Viper mainshaft, the splines are cut down quite a bit and slip yolk only has a limited amount of spline on the mainshaft to engage. With this new 31 spline shaft, the splines run further down the shaft allowing the yolk to be fully engaged and even bottom out without running past the splines.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

How much would that cost? like a ballpark number.... I was wanting a tremec magnum but now that i have read this Im thinkin im just gonna get my tranny upgraded with the stuff yall are talkin about.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Haans249
Cost me the same amount as it would have cost to get my transmission done with the Viper 30 spline conversion Appariently, its one of the first conversions to be done in the country with this shaft. Used to be a sponsor on this site, but got too busy and had to pull back. He is going to be getting some more help and plans on coming back here again when he can keep up. He has another done that is holding up very nicely, I'm the second one. Should be a very nice alternative to the Viper conversions that are being done and hold a bit more power.

He said that a good comparison between the two is the following: When shortening the Viper mainshaft, the splines are cut down quite a bit and slip yolk only has a limited amount of spline on the mainshaft to engage. With this new 31 spline shaft, the splines run further down the shaft allowing the yolk to be fully engaged and even bottom out without running past the splines.
I doubt you are going to see one ounce of additional strength going to a 31 spline versus a 30 spline mainshaft.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

i had issues with my T56 and sent it to Joey at Tick Performance..got a stage 2 build and have never had to think twice about it..and i bet it cost a **** ton less than these $2500 transmissions...
Old 12-21-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

I doubt you are going to see one ounce of additional strength going to a 31 spline versus a 30 spline mainshaft.
Just looking at the two mainshafts side by side the 31 spline is much beefier compared to the Viper shaft. There is more material throughout the whole shaft then just an additional spline. The gears are also wider. From what I saw, there would definitely be more strength, unless its made out of a lesser material or something.
The following users liked this post:
JJsQwuik (05-26-2020)
Old 12-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Haans249
Just looking at the two mainshafts side by side the 31 spline is much beefier compared to the Viper shaft. There is more material throughout the whole shaft then just an additional spline. The gears are also wider. From what I saw, there would definitely be more strength, unless its made out of a lesser material or something.
How many Viper 30 spline shafts have you seen fail?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

How many Viper 30 spline shafts have you seen fail?
How would that translate to more strength? Just because I have not seen one fail doesn't mean that one has, or that the larger shaft is not stronger.

I'm sure what you're eluding to is that its overkill, and yes it is. I have no problem with that since it cost me the same.

Last edited by Haans249; 12-21-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Perhaps the point is that if Viper shafts are all you'll ever need, why would you put a HEAVIER shaft in there if it costs the same? This is rotating weight... if the thing is thicker with larger gears, its undoutedly heavier.

If 31 Spline = Unbreakable and Viper = Unbreakble + Lighter, then I would say its NOT a good deal for the same price.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by boostd4
Perhaps the point is that if Viper shafts are all you'll ever need, why would you put a HEAVIER shaft in there if it costs the same? This is rotating weight... if the thing is thicker with larger gears, its undoutedly heavier.

If 31 Spline = Unbreakable and Viper = Unbreakble + Lighter, then I would say its NOT a good deal for the same price.
Good point, but the difference in rotating weight is negligible and wouldn't show any difference in horsepower, so its a mute point. Its extra insurance for the beefier shaft plain and simple, with more engagement surface area both around and lengthwise on the splines of the shaft. If there were ever any question about the viper shaft, this is a good alternative with several advantages (wider gears, more gear engagement area, thicker shaft, more material in radii's, longer splines, 31 vs 30 splines). Once this conversion is more readily available it will take the #1 position as the strongest conversion offered, regardless if the Viper shafts rarely fail.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:50 AM
TECH Regular

Ok tranny experts is their a downside to a Spec super twin on the street.
Ed
Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
Ok tranny experts is their a downside to a Spec super twin on the street.
Ed
Comparing it to what type of clutch? Its going to be grabby but very streetable for what it is and what it can hold.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread - I have a question.

I have had a TR6060 offered to me for $350 that has a wobbly input shaft. I'm considering switching my 69 LS powered Camaro from a 4L60E to a manual. I want to keep the cost down, and don't mind some sweat equity in used or bruised parts.

With that said - from experience...is the "wobbly" input shaft a common failure when the shifts are missed? Ball park - is this usually the sign of a total fatal failure...or something some fresh parts and time can cure?

The last dyno test through the A4 was 362 hp before the driveshaft had a critical speed failure. That failure dinked up the floor...etc, and has done something not nice to the trans. I lost lock up and it is hunting between 3rd and 4th gear.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

What car did the TR6060 come out of? Missed shifts don't make the input shaft wobble, you have some serious issues in my opinion. You are better off going with a T56 rather than the TR6060 (clutch selection, slave issue, etc).
Old 05-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What car did the TR6060 come out of? Missed shifts don't make the input shaft wobble, you have some serious issues in my opinion. You are better off going with a T56 rather than the TR6060 (clutch selection, slave issue, etc).
Came out of a Caddi

If the input shaft is damaged, would changing that during the repair give more clutch/slave selections?
Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Banned

I believe the Caddi TR has the bellhousing that is part of the trans midplate. The trans is physically different (bigger) compared to T56.

Only way to find out what is wrong with the input shaft is to take the trans completely apart.

IMHO, you will have more issues than transplanting a T56.

Quick Reply: T-56 Magnum Vs. TR6060