Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Another hydrolic issue help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another hydrolic issue help

Well just bought a 99 vette. It test drove fine no problems. I asked the guy if the pedal stuck he said yes when you get on it hard. No big deal i ordered a tick and was going to anyway not on car yet. I got in the car and started it and it wouldnt go into gear. after pumping the clutch got it made it home. Checked the resivoir and it was black and low. I sucked the cup dry and wiped it out and refilled it. pumped the clutch about 30 times it felt good drove it about 20 miles all good. I get up to go to work in the morning and it wont go into gear again. So after work checked the fluid flushed it and refilled it. Went to drive it and pedal sticking bad and not changing gears. I looked under the car and had a puddle of fluid looks like from the tailshaft area by the motor my buddy said the slave might of blown. I drove it to his house and now it seems to work good.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billymz28
Well just bought a 99 vette. It test drove fine no problems. I asked the guy if the pedal stuck he said yes when you get on it hard. No big deal i ordered a tick and was going to anyway not on car yet. I got in the car and started it and it wouldnt go into gear. after pumping the clutch got it made it home. Checked the resivoir and it was black and low. I sucked the cup dry and wiped it out and refilled it. pumped the clutch about 30 times it felt good drove it about 20 miles all good. I get up to go to work in the morning and it wont go into gear again. So after work checked the fluid flushed it and refilled it. Went to drive it and pedal sticking bad and not changing gears. I looked under the car and had a puddle of fluid looks like from the tailshaft area by the motor my buddy said the slave might of blown. I drove it to his house and now it seems to work good.
If there is clutch (brake) fluid on the ground, then the slave cylinder is most likely blown.

What you describe definitely sounds like the symptoms of a blown slave cylinder.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 AM
FormerVendor

More than likely air in system. Sometimes jsut driving it like that CAN force air out of it though, and that is why it will drive fine sometimes.

If fluid on ground, is either A)leak from slave or B)you spilt fluid when filling it up.

If slave is leaking, need to replace, or WILL leave you stranded eventually.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

got back in it this morning and wouldnt go into gear again so i think it is deffintly the slave. I hear it suck bad to change them on the c5s. I guess i will do the clutch now also. Does anybody carry the slaves besides the dealer. I work at oreillys and we dont have them.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billymz28
got back in it this morning and wouldnt go into gear again so i think it is deffintly the slave. I hear it suck bad to change them on the c5s. I guess i will do the clutch now also. Does anybody carry the slaves besides the dealer. I work at oreillys and we dont have them.
Check out LM Speed. They have the RAM slave cylinder for 97-04 Vettes for a reasonable price.

Quick Reply: Another hydrolic issue help