Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Interesting issue..

Old 11-21-2009, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Interesting issue..

The other night my T56 developed a wierd issue with 5th Gear.

At first it wouldn't engage, then I got it to go in messing with it. Now every time I go into 5th from any gear it will go in smooth..EXCEPT from 6th..it blocks me out. From there it will go in when you lift the clutch up, and even then it engages smooth. Trust me I'm baffled..lol

I can see it possibly being something caught on the Synchro..I say that cause if you think about it when you come into 5th from anything before it the internals are spinning faster than that 5th and they mesh fine. From 6th to 5th it will have to make the 5th Gear spin up, and it's blocking it out instead.

The Synchro is the only thing that makes sense to me..maybe something in there got stuck on it and it's not catching that 5th Gear until some pressure gets put on it.

It's not grinding or has any resistance at all once it slides in..it's either a total block out or right in.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have asked this quetion with no answers... mine does it and it takes a beating still.

so I guess, dont worry about it lol
Old 11-22-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup.. I just drove a C5 yesterday with the exact problem, downshifting only. Is your trans notchy in any gears and in 5th? This C5 seems very notchy and I suspect the previous owner burred up most of the gears. Hoping that a new blocker ring on 5th gear will fix it, but will probably need more TLC than that..
Old 11-22-2009, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Nope..not notchy at all..smooth as a ****..you can shift it with your finger tips in every gear.

It just started all of the sudden so hopefully whatever it is will work itself out. If not I'll pull the Tailshaft Housing and see what it is..prob something simple.

I may just switch the 5th and 6th Synchro Ring..I'm not down-shifting into 6th from anything..lol

Let me know what you find on it Mike if you dont mind..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting issue..