Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans fluid on clutchfork... input shaft seal bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans fluid on clutchfork... input shaft seal bad?

I'd been having issues with my new clutch all last summer. I put the car into storage for the winter last week and decided to check for leaks for the heck of it.

I unbolted the slave cylinder and its little housing and pulled it off the bellhousing. The bottom of the bellhousing didnt seem to have any fluid on it but the clutchfork looked wet, I dabbed it with a clean rag and the fluid was blood red like the Redline transfluid I put in it.

Is it possible that I could have a bad input shaft seal? The input shaft felt pretty solid with no play when I put my car back together after a new clutch install last summer. If it is a bad input shaft seal is this a big job to change? And could this leak be whats causing my new clutch to slip on occasion?

Keep in mind this is an LT1 clutch, so no shims are needed. Its supposed to be an idiot-proof setup, but somehow I can't get it right lol.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

anyone?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Alright I'm gonna ask a slightly simpler question and hopefully I'll get a reply.

How hard is it to change a input shaft seal on an LT1 T56?

Is it just a matter of unbolting the front adapter plate and swapping in a new seal? or are a bunch of parts gonna come spilling out when I open this thing up?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

Could be a bad seal or it could be a bad pilot bearing in the crankshaft allowing the input shaft to pull away from the front seal allowing it to leak. What does the tip of the input shaft sticking out of the front of the unit look like? Its is nice and smooth or is it jacked up looking?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Its been a few months since I've had the transmission out-- but if I recall correctly the input shaft tip was fine, I'm sure I would have noticed if it was beat up or had burrs in it at all.

My pilot bearing is a needle bearing (I didnt use the oilite bushing spec gave me), it was in the car already and it seemed like it was in good shape. I spun it with my fingertip and it was smooth. Before I put the new clutch and transmission back in I put some grease on the bearing and spun it a little bit and it felt fine.

I had my car rebuilt by Six Speeds Inc in April of 2008, the Stage1 build, and I'm not sure if they replaced the seal when they did the rebuid. The transmission shifts perfectly, but for some reason the clutch hasn't been right since I got the tranny back from them. Sucks too because I didn't relize anyhting was wrong till after Six Speeds went under.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:37 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
How hard is it to change a input shaft seal on an LT1 T56?

Is it just a matter of unbolting the front adapter plate and swapping in a new seal? or are a bunch of parts gonna come spilling out when I open this thing up?
Yes.

Set the trans. with the front end pointing up. Unbolt the front plate and lift it off. You will have the 2 shift rails wobble because they are supported by the front plate. The seal is easy to replace. When setting the front plate down, you'll want to use a long screwdriver (or whatever) to get those rails into their alignment holes in the front plate. The 4th gear / input shaft bearing race/shim and countershaft bearing race/shim may fall out of the front plate. Trans. assembly lube will help with this.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

jmd - exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much.

Quick Reply: Trans fluid on clutchfork... input shaft seal bad?