Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help please

Old 12-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please

Ok i was out driving my car around got on some open road, i went through 1st - 2nd - 3rd - 4th then i got locked out of 5th. As i tried to find a gear it would only go into 4th, as i pulled over i turned of the car and messed around with it and the other gears opened up except for 3rd. now all the gears are working fine except 3rd, it doesnt grind it just wont go in. The car is bone stock, with original stuff all the way around and it has 72k miles. The question is what should i do, and what could it be.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You still can't engage 3rd with the car off?

Sounds like the 3-4 synchro keys broke as you shifted out of 4th. Now they're wedged in, keeping the slider from engaging 3rd. Get the trans pulled and opened up ASAP (or taken to a shop) or you'll just risk additional damage.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i let the car sit a few hours then took it down the block and it unfroze again, its acting normal now. I know its going to still need work, but im just wondering how often the trannies go out? Im broke as hell but i would love to have the level 2 or viper rebuild done by trick. I just wish I knew what the problem is.

But thanks for the input

Search this Thread