Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch will not release HELP

Old 12-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch will not release HELP

Alright here we go.Needed a new clutch so I pulled my trans because of the grind in 3rd.Took it to the shop more problems than I thought so I had to replace 2nd 3rd 4th and reverse gears while I was at it I upgraded to a level 2 kit from tick with all new syncros blocker rings the whole works with new bearings.Bought a ram powergrip and an F1 racing lightweight flywheel.Put the trans back in and what do you know the clutch wont disengage all the way.Car sitting on blocks everytime I try to put it in any gear the back wheels spin.Ive done the drill mod a long time ago and had the slave unhooked on more than one occasion and never had any problems bleeding it so im sure thats not the problem.The slave has about 15k on it so I dont think thats the problem.Another thing I read on was bearing preload for ram cluthes and the fact you may have to shim the slave on occasion.I dont have the proper dial indicator so I pulled the trans back out and used a tape measure and level to check position A bellhousing to pressure plate fingers= 2 1/8" and then position B fully compressed throwout bearing face to transmission mounting surface =2 1/16".Not positive but I would think is correct without a shim.So that leaves me with what????I am stumped on this the clutch on lacked about .010 releasing completly by looking at the new flywheel and pressure plate after I took it back out.Any advice I thank you.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone???? Does anyone know if the throwout bearing on the slave cylinder is suppose to touch the fingers on the pressure plate or not?When they say preload I would assume that when you bolt up the trans the bearing should slightly push the fingers in?????
Old 12-25-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes the throwout bearing will sit on the fingers, I believe that is what pushes the finger in.

How old is your master? Sounds like a hydraulic problem. Is your master adjustable?
Old 12-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Ok here is the new news.I didnt open the bleeder valve the 1st time I took my measurement so I loosened the bleeder on the slave then pushed the bearing all the way back in its casing till it bottomed out with the spring removed.Took my measurements A from the bellhousing to the fingers on the pressure plate =2 1/8" then measurement B alway depressed bearing face to transmission mating surface = 1 7/8" thats 1/4" difference so I shimmed the back of the slave .080" which gave me a new measurement of 2" from bearing face to mating surface.That gave me 1/8 of free space between the bearing and the fingers.Put it back together rebleed the system and guess what still NOT RELEASING.WHAT GIVES???????Factory master still but ive never had any problems releasing till now it was releasing fine when taken apart.I dont understand I still have what seems to be a very good pedal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch will not release HELP