Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem

I just fired up my TA last night and it sounds amazing, only thing is I can't drive it because there is something wrong with the clutch pedal. If I tap it lightly it jumps straight down to the floor as if its not attached to anything. When I push it back up it jumps right back to where it started. It only sets itself in those two different spots, and doesn't go down smoothly. The hydraulic line is firmly connected and the master cylinder is in properly. Maybe something came loose from all the wiring under the steering wheel?? I can't spot anything. If anyone has any suggestions please help!!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:59 AM
FormerVendor

This is most likely the result of air in the hydraulic lines. If the lines weren't connected the pedal would be extremely hard because the fluid wouldn't be able to pass from the master to the slave. That being said. check the fluid in the reservoir. Make sure that it isn't discolored or cloudy. If it is then the fluid need to be flushed and refilled. Even if the fluid looks good in the reservoir you need to bleed it. I always suggest using a Mighty-Vac and recommend that you bleed from both the valve connected to the slave and accessible through the top port on the transmission as well as from the reservoir. Let me know what you find and if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you recently do a clutch install or change out the master or something? If so it will need to be bled properly. I'd just start wiht all the obvious stuff first..Everything connected as far a clutch linkage connected properly, fluid in the master, etc..If this happened just all of the sudden with no new installs, I would look into a failing master or slave cylinder or air intrusion in your clutch hydraulics.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I rebuilt the motor and installed a brand new 6 puck clutch. I removed the master and installed a new hydraulic line also. But the clutch pedal was doing this before I installed any of that. Also, I stuck my finger on the hole at the bottom of the reservoir while my friend stepped on the clutch and I felt no sucking whatsoever. Because of this I can't bleed anything

Last edited by kobraa; 01-08-2010 at 11:40 AM.