Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cant downshift into 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant downshift into 2nd

ok when down shifting at any rpm my tranny will not go into 2nd gear. Ive tried tappin the throttle and all things like that. The only way to get it to downshift to second is to first shift into another gear like 4th or 1st without letting the clutch out and then it goes easily into second gear.

also the shifter seems to be unusually far to the right.. what could be causing this?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does everything yours does except the far right part. I guess I just learned to drive with it. I can get mine to go in if I push the clutch in pull the shifter to the left then let the clutch out the press the clutch and put it into 2nd. I usually find it easier and faster to just put it in 1st then second to down shift. I can however downshift at like 38 MPH. If I have the clutch in and put pressure on the gear shift pulling it towards second then when it hits 38 then it falls in. Or I just rip it towards second while racing and just force it in. Thats probably not good for it.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like the Synchro..mine does it with 5th..it'll go into 5th from 4th..but you can't shift into 5th from 6th. When it started going it I was like WTF..lol..but it's not worth tearing into it for that little problem.

Quick Reply: cant downshift into 2nd