Manual Transmission
T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
Sponsored by
McLeod Clutch

Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 40
Send a message via AIM to westtexasbuff Send a message via Yahoo to westtexasbuff
Exclamation Grinding When Downshifting Only, Syncros???

So I just installed a new LS7 clutch and aluminum flywheel. Drove fine. Drove it for about 40 miles, and my rear blew. Put in new gears, and posi. Went for a spin, and now there's a ton of rattling going on in my transmission when I have the car in neutral, when I press on the clutch, the rattling goes away.

Now, I drive, shifts normal going up in gears, but when I want to downshift from 3rd to 2nd, it grinds and I can't shift into 2nd. Also grinds downshifting from 5th to 4th. Doesn't grind when downshifting from 3rd to 1st.

Doesn't grind when downshifting 6th to 5th, or 4th to 3rd.

I've heard that syncros in these cars go bad when dropping the tranny.

Any ideas? Is it the syncros?
westtexasbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to westtexasbuff Send a message via Yahoo to westtexasbuff

Bump, anybody?
Old 01-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Rockerator
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 7

I had an issue with that but it was only downshifting to third. Thought it might be the friction cones worn down but when we pulled it apart they were fine. Turned out to be the synchro and gear teeth being worn down. Replaced third gear and the 3/4 synchro and no more issues.

If it's only doing it on downshifts and only on certain gears, it's an internal transmission issue, though. It will require a tear down. Good luck, man.
PewterScreaminMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 8
Send a message via AIM to ae13291

after you go to a aluminum flywheel you should experiance more noise, like a deisal lol.
how do you like the aluminum LS7 combo is it much differant? any loss of torque? and which aluminum flywheel?
Old 01-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Save the manuals!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach View Post
I had an issue with that but it was only downshifting to third. Thought it might be the friction cones worn down but when we pulled it apart they were fine. Turned out to be the synchro and gear teeth being worn down. Replaced third gear and the 3/4 synchro and no more issues.

If it's only doing it on downshifts and only on certain gears, it's an internal transmission issue, though. It will require a tear down. Good luck, man.
+1 - I had the exact same experience between 1 & 2.
wssix99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae13291 View Post
after you go to a aluminum flywheel you should experiance more noise, like a deisal lol.
how do you like the aluminum LS7 combo is it much differant? any loss of torque? and which aluminum flywheel?
It was an LS2 style aluminum flywheel. Feels a lot better than stock, and was much lighter. Shifts a lot better though. Haven't really gotten the chance to get on it much because I fix one thing, and another breaks...
Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement