Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

faceplated t56?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default faceplated t56?

hey guys ive been trying to gather info about faceplated transmissions just to see if its wat i should do in a year or so and after three hours of reading and looking around i feel like i still dont understand it well enough to deside. i understand that it get rid of the synchros but how does it make it hard to miss a shift? it doesnt make it clutchless? im really just looking for as much info as i can get ill be choosing between doin this or a th400 in lik a little over a year. id love to get the car into a 275 class. also looking for some info on a slipper clutch. if anyone has info ill appreciate it not sure exactly wat ?s to ask here

thanks
rob
Old 01-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28rob18
hey guys ive been trying to gather info about faceplated transmissions just to see if its wat i should do in a year or so and after three hours of reading and looking around i feel like i still dont understand it well enough to deside. i understand that it get rid of the synchros but how does it make it hard to miss a shift? it doesnt make it clutchless? im really just looking for as much info as i can get ill be choosing between doin this or a th400 in lik a little over a year. id love to get the car into a 275 class. also looking for some info on a slipper clutch. if anyone has info ill appreciate it not sure exactly wat ?s to ask here

thanks
rob
Are you thinking about the faceplated trans for racing only? If not, you should reconsider. To explain what goes on the faceplated trans is difficult but take a look at the gears below. The image is from Liberty's website. The gear on the left is normal gear and the one on the far right is the faceplated gear. The "wings" are the plates the interlock with the slider and even if they don't "hit" it, it will rotate until it "locks". When you first engage the shifter into a gear and let the clutch out, the "plates" have to "lock" or "enage" before moving. When shifting, the plates either locks or rotates until it locks so there is no "missed shift". I hope you can understand this.

I'll be doing a faceplated trans build within couple of months and I'll post a build thread here so it would be easier for the "rowers" to understand.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:38 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I am trying to understand what makes it so not to do on the street kind of thing, is it just rough as hell driving it normal?
Old 01-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

First, the faceplating is only done 1-4 gears. The 5-6 would be synchronized. Some people have driven their faceplated trans on the street and said it was drivable but all I can say is "different strokes for different folks". One might consider drivable, yet another would say no way. I personally would NOT do it on a street driven vehicle.

Last edited by LS123; 01-27-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's just a little more tedious to drive on the street. You either shift pretty much like normal, and get a clunk each time, or you can double clutch and it'll go in with no noise. "Basically" it's just like a motorcycle transmission. I plan to drive mine on the street because I don't have a trailer. Like the previous guy said, each person is different as to what they can deal with.
Check this video out. The trans here is pro shifted (the middle gear in the picture above), not faceplated but it's the same principle when driving it. The difference being if you clunk the gears too much with a pro shifted trans, you'll be dressing the gears often when it starts to pop out of gear. The faceplated design won't pop out of gear and will last much longer before the gears need attention.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-MABhwPV00
Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i understand a bit more now. i need to learn a bit more about transmissions in general but that did help. the car will be a racecar after i do this. does anyone sell the gears to build it yourself or can i only send the trans out (i have a guy that built my trans and helps me) ive read some people think their shifting was no faster with a faceplated trans why might this be? and not being able to miss a gear does that mean if the clutch isnt fully pushed in while racing itll still go into gear?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

i understand a bit more now. i need to learn a bit more about transmissions in general but that did help. the car will be a racecar after i do this. does anyone sell the gears to build it yourself or can i only send the trans out (i have a guy that built my trans and helps me) ive read some people think their shifting was no faster with a faceplated trans why might this be? and not being able to miss a gear does that mean if the clutch isnt fully pushed in while racing itll still go into gear?
As far as I know, Libertys Gears is the only place to get the gears faceplated. Maybe G-Force too but I'm not sure. You don't need to send the entire trans, you can just send the gears and they will modify them. As for not shifting any faster with it faceplated, I guess it's possible if they were pretty damn good without it. Even so it'll be much more consistent and reliable with it faceplated. If you're gonna turn the car into a race car then there's no reason not to do this.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

do you think the possible consistency with a faceplated trans can hang in a class with all autos? and as far as a slipper clutch any info there? also longevity of a faceplated trans read they last forever and also read that they might not if you cant drive it. would this be a trans id have to check the internals often or any maintenance on?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS123
Are you thinking about the faceplated trans for racing only? If not, you should reconsider. To explain what goes on the faceplated trans is difficult but take a look at the gears below. The image is from Liberty's website. The gear on the left is normal gear and the one on the far right is the faceplated gear. The "wings" are the plates the interlock with the slider and even if they don't "hit" it, it will rotate until it "locks". When you first engage the shifter into a gear and let the clutch out, the "plates" have to "lock" or "enage" before moving. When shifting, the plates either locks or rotates until it locks so there is no "missed shift". I hope you can understand this.

I'll be doing a faceplated trans build within couple of months and I'll post a build thread here so it would be easier for the "rowers" to understand.

Is Liberty going to faceplate the gears for you?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CanuckSS
Is Liberty going to faceplate the gears for you?
Yes, you can send in your 1-4 gears along with the cluster gear. They will laser weld the plates just like how the TR6060 gears are made.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

The faceplated trans is no different than any other T56 when it's "IN" gear so why do you think this trans will make the car any faster? This mod will make the trans easier to shift faster and more consistantly, that is all.

The clutch still has to be depressed but just enough to get the load off and to the next gear.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

do you think the possible consistency with a faceplated trans can hang in a class with all autos? and as far as a slipper clutch any info there? also longevity of a faceplated trans read they last forever and also read that they might not if you cant drive it. would this be a trans id have to check the internals often or any maintenance on?
There's no reason you couldnt be just as consistent with a stick car. It's just easier to do with an auto. It all comes down to the driver and how consistent they are. Slipper clutches are the way to go if you can afford them and have the patience and no how to adjust them properly. You can expect to have lots of aborted partial passes with adjustments made after each one. They will also help with the life of the transmission because they're taking some of the abuse by slipping. Other than that the life will depend on your clutch, power level, and the driver. I wouldn't think you'd have to check internals very often. Maybe once a year if that. Really depends on the other factors I mentioned.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys. and i dont think it'll make the car faster i dont think i said that. what type of adjustments wit the slipper clutch need to be made? and is mcleod thee only company that makes them?
Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

The two adjustments you make are base pressure and counter weight. How I think it works is the base pressure is the initial clamping force that's applied as soon as you let the clutch out. Then the counter weight applies more pressure the higher the rpm. The goal is to be just on the edge of slipping the clutch in high gear. Check out the umtrdragrace.com website. They'll be able to tell you a little better how it works. I'm not sure who else makes one besides Mcleod.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

man thank you guys so much you were a ton of help summed it all up for me i appreciate it.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A faceplated trans can be shifted faster because there is no delay while the blocker sync's up the gear and shift sleeve and then moves to center, allowing gear and shift sleeve mesh. With my faceplated T-56, I'd just kick the clutch and pull or push to the next gear. It shifted into gear every time, no delay whatsoever. It would never be as fast as an auto though.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Teching In

how well would a faceplated/ proshifted t56 perform on the autocross or road course? i have an LS2 in my miata and have purchased a cheap proshifted t56... i will rebuild it if necessary, real question is how quickly can one be downshifted?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

if you need a slipper clutch look up rob youngblood at advanced clutch spendy but worth it, to adjust the slipper clutch you have to set you air gap, and base spring pressures. its complicated but fun in the end when you sidestep it at 8k and dont break anything i hate send a member to another site but if you want clutch info ask these guys, its all the stock/super stock/comp guys

http://www.classracer.com
Old 06-25-2010, 02:52 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by 283nova
if you need a slipper clutch look up rob youngblood at advanced clutch spendy but worth it, to adjust the slipper clutch you have to set you air gap, and base spring pressures. its complicated but fun in the end when you sidestep it at 8k and dont break anything i hate send a member to another site but if you want clutch info ask these guys, its all the stock/super stock/comp guys

http://www.classracer.com
can't auto cross/road race with a slipper clutch... street driving is a big ? as well.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

that is true about the road racing aspect, street driving depends on your disc and if you turn up your pressures you can do it like it was nothing,

if you guys have questions about it ill refer you to the same guy i was refered to and that's rob youngblood at advanced clutches he really helped me understand clutch technology.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: faceplated t56?