Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Any Clutchless transmission racers here Lenco

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any Clutchless transmission racers here Lenco

Anyone use a Clutchless transmission behind their LSx motor ie. Lenco, Liberty. Jericho, Jefco etc?

Pretty common in the traditional sbc/bbc race world just not here.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lenco

I am running a CS3 Four Speed Lenco....it bolts up like any other SBC bolt pattern except for one hole that makes no difference at all as far as strength or location. I like it over the CS1 I used to run because it is a dimensionally smaller case and weighs a lot less. A CS3 also takes less power to turn....around 10-12 for a CS3 vs 20 or so for a CS1. It takes time to get used to it but they are streetable and there is NO COMPARISON to any other racing transmission out there....although I have heard that Tremec is importing an Australian clutchless 6 speed very soon...supposed to be a nice unit capable of handling high power levels....priced around $7000!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you give me an idea of what it's like on the street?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Default Lenco

They are very streetable. Somehow they got a bad rap that they were not for the street and were racing only units. For example, a Lenco four speed "free wheels" in second and third gear when you back off of the gas. It reengages when you get back on the gas. In fourth gear, it is just like any other four speed. That's it. The other thing to keep in mind is you have to change fluid in the Lenco often as it has no filter and the clutches are continually depositing fine debris in the fluid within the individual cases as you shift gears. For me, changing fluid is no big deal....my car is a Pro Streeter and is not a daily driver. Access is easy and draing and refilling takes 15 minutes. A CS1 can be a little heavy (150 pounds or so for a 4 speed) and take extra power to turn compared to a T56...CS3's are much better. Finally, they are expensive to buy....

Now the positive arguments: You will never buy another manual transmission again no matter how much power you make. I read about supposed "Bullet Proof" manual transmissions (built T-56's, Liberty, Rockland, Jericho,etc)...some are OK and last a few years of hard racing, some are race only where you can't downshift, some shift rough without syncros,etc...
A Lenco shifts as smooth as a hot knife through butter...or as crisp as you like...it depends on how fast you pull the individual shift lever. At 25 mph, I can pull the second gear arm slowly and you would swear it was an automatic car. At full throttle, I can pull that same second gear lever as fast as I can and it barks the tires (it would smoke normal tires but my car is tubbed). I never use the clutch pedal except to start the car in first gear...after that I never touch it again except to come to a stop. I NEVER miss a shift...it is impossible to miss a shift. There is no way to describe how people flock to a car with a Lenco just to see those shifter arms...they don't believe how easy it is to drive when I give them a ride. You can find CS1's used for around $3500...CS2's and CS3's are pricier. They usually don't fit in a stock car without major sheetmetal surgery but who cares...it's a LENCO...I want it to stick out!

Last edited by BIGBEAUTIFULDOLLP51; 01-31-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wish to see someone do a Lenco Street 6 Speed in a twin turbo car. Or better yet, a twin turbo 4 wheel drive truck.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Default Lenco

They have a 5 speed...not overdrive though.....1 to 1 in fifth gear. A sixth gear would mean an additional case. Probably makes the tranny too long...and heavy! See my CS1 4 speed photo....
Attached Thumbnails Any Clutchless transmission racers here Lenco-080.jpg  

Last edited by BIGBEAUTIFULDOLLP51; 01-31-2010 at 06:55 AM. Reason: pix
Old 01-31-2010, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Lenco on the street here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH-y2mxYS6c
Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Kix
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BIGBEAUTIFULDOLLP51
I am running a CS3 Four Speed Lenco....it bolts up like any other SBC bolt pattern except for one hole that makes no difference at all as far as strength or location. I like it over the CS1 I used to run because it is a dimensionally smaller case and weighs a lot less. A CS3 also takes less power to turn....around 10-12 for a CS3 vs 20 or so for a CS1. It takes time to get used to it but they are streetable and there is NO COMPARISON to any other racing transmission out there....although I have heard that Tremec is importing an Australian clutchless 6 speed very soon...supposed to be a nice unit capable of handling high power levels....priced around $7000!
How are you accounting for the difference in distance to the trans between a SBC and an LS? shorter bellhousing?

What clutch are you running?

Kix
Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

thats pretty sweet!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I don't use a clutch with my faceplated t-56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eYf...e_gdata_player
Old 10-04-2012, 04:28 PM
FormerVendor

Nothing like a faceplated t-56
Old 11-24-2014, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Default What clutch to use

Bringing this back from the dead. What clutch and hydraulics are used with a lenco? Can the fifth gear case be an over drive gear? And what's needed to be done to the tunnel to fit a st1200 or similiar lenco
Old 06-10-2015, 02:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BIGBEAUTIFULDOLLP51
They have a 5 speed...not overdrive though.....1 to 1 in fifth gear. A sixth gear would mean an additional case. Probably makes the tranny too long...and heavy! See my CS1 4 speed photo....
Can you down shift easy to pass... I know they make a new street version the st1200..
Old 06-10-2015, 06:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I don't use a clutch with my faceplated t-56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eYf...e_gdata_player
Someone explain why this dude isnt using the clutch. I read that even with faceplating a transmission you still need to clutch it otherwise it will shock the tranny too much?

Whats the true answer here?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyzorg
Someone explain why this dude isnt using the clutch. I read that even with faceplating a transmission you still need to clutch it otherwise it will shock the tranny too much?

Whats the true answer here?
In a t56 the faceplates are laser welded on to OEM t56 gears. Liberty recommends using the clutch because that weld can be a fail point. I quick stab the clutch without moving my right foot on mine just because that's how I've always done it and I'm used to it. To me, I don't see how the shock load is any different between the two as you're basically neutral dropping almost off the limiter during every shift when power shifting with the clutch. Now I can see if you tried to shift it under power without any kind of torque cut.....
Old 06-10-2015, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

that trans in larry larsons car in the video , how does he downshift . What im asking is does he just push a single level forward. I remember hearing that some of those transmissions years ago had to be stopped to get back to first gear.

Quick Reply: Any Clutchless transmission racers here Lenco