Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

master cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default master cylinders

im going to be doing a monster stage 3 clutch install soon and need to get a adj master cylinder. i know the tick is the best one but anybody have any experiance with the ram, mcleod or cartek ones? do they work just as good and will get the job done like the tick?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got my tick master in and i love it
Old 01-31-2010, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

what about placement of the master cylinder on an LT1, anybody have pictures?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know the tick is one of the best out there im just wondering how the others compare since they are cheapier. do they still do the job as good as the tick one? what power level do they stop supporting at?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Im running the ram and it works great for me!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The ram is esentially a modified stocker and I believe the cartek is also. The mcleod uses a 13/16" bore which is a step above the 3/4" bore of the stockers. We use a 7/8" bore with ours. By using a larger bore, you have the capability of moving more fluid therefore you will achieve more dissengagement. The modified stock units cut down an internal stop which will offer a slight improvement as well by actually gaining just a bit of stroke at the master.

All should help somewhat, with ours offering the widest range of adjustment. I have seen clutches/cars that still couldn't get a complete dissengagement with a ram cylinder and ours fixed it. The mcleod should do ok under most circumstances, however I don't believe it comes with a new line and its already similarly priced to ours. And of course with ours if it ever leaks, we'll replace the cylinder.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
The ram is esentially a modified stocker and I believe the cartek is also. The mcleod uses a 13/16" bore which is a step above the 3/4" bore of the stockers. We use a 7/8" bore with ours. By using a larger bore, you have the capability of moving more fluid therefore you will achieve more dissengagement. The modified stock units cut down an internal stop which will offer a slight improvement as well by actually gaining just a bit of stroke at the master.

All should help somewhat, with ours offering the widest range of adjustment. I have seen clutches/cars that still couldn't get a complete dissengagement with a ram cylinder and ours fixed it. The mcleod should do ok under most circumstances, however I don't believe it comes with a new line and its already similarly priced to ours. And of course with ours if it ever leaks, we'll replace the cylinder.
FWIW, the Ram doesn't come with this modification done - the internal stop is untouched by them (at least it was in the Ram I still have sitting in my garage that I took apart). I had to do this myself, and was a PITA to reassemble.

Bottom line: the Tick master cylinder is a very nice piece. It is made by Tilton, and modified to fit different applications (like ours) by Tick Performance. It is a high quality piece of equipment, and works very well. I wish it had been offered sooner.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another happy Tick m/c customer here.

If you're going to use a Ram m/c, you might as well just take a stock m/c and make it adjustable and do the drill mod.

Quick Reply: master cylinders