Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Changing fluid in a higher mileage T56 with gear grind

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing fluid in a higher mileage T56 with gear grind

My 98 Z28 has 128k miles on it. The trans has trouble getting into gear (it grinds in first, second and sometimes 3rd) so I am going to adjust the clutch, flush and bleed the hydraulics, and change the trans fluid.

I don't know if the fluid has ever been changed in it, so the question is should I stick with Dex 3 ATF, a name brand synthetic Dex 3 ATF, or use GM Synchromesh?

I bought the car with the gear grind problem. The guy told me the clutch was just changed in it so I don't know if it just needs an adjustment or what not but I will be changing the fluid and give it an adjustment to start. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAMJAG
My 98 Z28 has 128k miles on it. The trans has trouble getting into gear (it grinds in first, second and sometimes 3rd) so I am going to adjust the clutch, flush and bleed the hydraulics, and change the trans fluid.
There is no clutch adjustment on these transmissions. Its hydraulic and fully self adjusting. However, flushing the hydraulic system with fresh DOT4 and changing the trans fluid may help.

I don't know if the fluid has ever been changed in it, so the question is should I stick with Dex 3 ATF, a name brand synthetic Dex 3 ATF, or use GM Synchromesh?
Use ATF, thats what the trans was designed for. I run Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, which is basically a synthetic version of DEX III. Synthetic is more resistant to thermal breakdown from heat, provides better lubrication (less friction) and lasts longer.

I bought the car with the gear grind problem. The guy told me the clutch was just changed in it so I don't know if it just needs an adjustment or what not but I will be changing the fluid and give it an adjustment to start. Any guidance would be appreciated.
As I said, no adjustment. Replace the clutch fluid and see what happens. If it still grinds, then its probably going to need a rebuild. Mine did the same thing, especially when cold. The stock blocker rings are paper lined, which are not ideal for wear or performance. I replaced mine with the newer version, which is carbon fiber, and they have been good.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

don't run synthetic with paper linings! it is to slippery, and will cause gear grinding, if they are carbon fiber like mine are now, after I rebuilt the transmission then you can run synthetic if you want, mine is super quiet and shifts great, I use regular ATF 3. Rebuilding the transmission isn't to hard especially if you don't do the bearings, I rebuilt my entire transmission bearings and all, and I sharped the cogs on second gear, plus new 2-3 sychro, shifts like butter! Now if I could only get the clutch to work properly
Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you for the info. I want to try the BG products we sell at my dealer. BG DOT 4 Brake Fluid Ultra-Dry Flushing Formula for the flush. I think I will stick with the regular Dex 3 ATF for the trans fluid replacement.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

What would be cheaper? Buying a used transmission for replacement or rebuilding the one in the car?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Probably be cheaper to buy a used one but if your planning and big horsepower you might as well put that money into a good strong rebuild now rather then later
Old 02-05-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Down the road I want to to a build, something to withstand up to 600HP with clutch dumps on drag radials.

Quick Reply: Changing fluid in a higher mileage T56 with gear grind