Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Which Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Flywheel?

I'm about to buy the monster stage 3 clutch package and don't know if I want the lightweight(18lb.) flywheel, or the stock weight flywheel. There are not very many threads talking about the differences between the two. I don't go to the track much and aren't looking for the ultimate 60 ft., but I'd still like to leave the line well. If Monster still sold the 15 lb. flywheel, then I'd get the stock weight one and there wouldn't even be a decision. Now that they sell an 18 lb. flywheel, the decision is alot harder. I feel like the lightweight one at 18 lbs. might be a good compromise, but I don't want to have trouble leaving the line and having to blip the throttle too much when shifting. Does anyone have any feedback on the lightweight flywheel? Any problems getting a good 60 ft. with it? All impressions or feedback from those who are running the chromoly flywheel are much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will not have to blip the throttle to shift with the 18 lbs flywheel, it's very streetable. You will gain some throttle response and 2-5 rwhp due to less rotating mass.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Matt@SNLPerformance
You will not have to blip the throttle to shift with the 18 lbs flywheel, it's very streetable. You will gain some throttle response and 2-5 rwhp due to less rotating mass.

Thanks for the response Matt, I'm almost positive this is the flywheel for me now. If anyone has any feedback as to how their 60 ft. time was affected after going from a stock weight flywheel to the 18 lb. flywheel, that would be great also. A new clutch isn't cheap and I just want to be sure I'm making the right decision. I've got to say, I'm getting VERY excited to try out the stage 3 and Tick adj. master after reading all the positive responses. I'm one of the many with "mush pedal" and can't wait to feel the difference.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Ttttt
Old 02-12-2010, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i have the stage 4 with the lightweight flywheel, I thought it was a 15lber but hell it maybe a 18lbs. I noticed a difference in the way the motor spins up, and revs. You can tell there is a weight reduction some where. Plus Monster clutches rock.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RsSean
Well i have the stage 4 with the lightweight flywheel, I thought it was a 15lber but hell it maybe a 18lbs. I noticed a difference in the way the motor spins up, and revs. You can tell there is a weight reduction some where. Plus Monster clutches rock.
How much difference did you notice when starting from a stop? Do you have to give it alot more gas. Is it still easy to leave the line hard?

Last edited by Redneck Z; 02-12-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
How much difference did you notice when starting from a start? Do you have to give it alot more gas. Is it still easy to leave the line hard?
These flylwheels aren't light enough to cause an issue with initial start.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
These flylwheels aren't light enough to cause an issue with initial start.
Thanks Steve. I just got off the phone with Joey at Tick, and he talked me out of the lightweight flywheel lol. I went with the stage 3 package and standard flywheel. I know the flywheels are on backorder, so maybe if I change my mind again and I can switch...ugh. If only I could drive a car with the 18 lb. flywheel, it wouldn't be a decision. I would really like to keep the clutch at or below stock weight and I understand the monster clutch with the standard weight flywheel is a few more lbs. I know I'm going to love the clutch, I just don't want it to make me slower.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

^Light weight flywheels can be a pain to drive but you get used to them.

I was driving my car with a light weight flywheel, aftermarket clutch and solid motor mounts. My friend couldn't even get my car going in 1st gear becuase he was so use to the heavy flywheel on his Mustang.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the lightweight fly wheel really makes that big of a diff??? i didnt know that, do you loose torque with the lightwieght one? is that why it's "harder" to take offf?

EDIT: if i had the dough i would def get the monster stage 3 also!!! but for 800 i can get the ls7 clutch kit ticks MC and SC... but maybe one day i will own one myself!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im going with monster stg 2 and lighweight flywheel. but the lw fw is on back order?
Old 02-15-2010, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

I just ordered the stage 2 with lightweight flywheel. Looks like it shipped today and I ordered it almost two weeks ago. Sadly I won't be able to report how it is until the snow melts.

FYI: My car is a DD with headers/cam.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

So I take it most people that have the monster clutch did not go with the lightweight flywheel? There seems to be very little feedback on the chromoly one.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Launching!

LW flywheel is best for road racing,street/ track car you want the rotating mas to get the car moving.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Teching In

I emailed Steve at Monster clutches about a clutch and flywheel for my LS1 240sx and this is what he said:

"I would recommend a Level 3 for your 240SX, this clutch will take all the power you have and allow you room to grow, plus it will take a tremendous amount of abuse both on and off the track.

As far as flywheels, the rule of thumb is 3500lbs or more get the 28lbs, 3499lbs or less can go either way. I recommend a lightweight setup for your car. You don't need a heavy flywheel to get the car going, it doesn't weigh enough." -Steve Addison
Old 02-18-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I run a level 4 with the lightweight flywheel. I pull 1.7 60ft's. most of the time, on stock irs suspension, with only dragbags to take out the wheel hop. On hoosier dr's on stock fbody wheels. It seems to hook good. I didn't know about the weight issue, because my goat is pushing over 3700lbs. at the track. Im not sure if a 28lb. flywheel would make that much diff. over my lightweight one.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Hmmm, and the plot thickens lol. So it seems like it's almost a "coin toss?" I believe in general, many would recommend the standard weight flywheel for my setup. If there are no driveability issues with the 18 lb. flywheel and it won't slow me down when leaving the line, then why in the world would anyone run the 28 lb. one and have more rotational mass? Im really having a hard time with this one! If it were 15 lbs then I wouldn't use it, but it's nearly too hard to call with the current 18 lb. flywheel.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not a big track guy. but I do put about 50 passes on avg. a yr. Im mostly a highway roll person. "Since 99% of my driving is on the highway roundtrip from work". And I run into some car's out on the road, I wanted the car to pick up as quick as poss. But like I said at the track I haven't noticed a diff. my 60ft's. stayed the same compared to the stock clutch/and flywheel. " when the stock clutch was in good shape". I feel you can't go wrong with either, but if you could get the lightweight flywheel I would do it.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06blackGTO
Im not a big track guy. but I do put about 50 passes on avg. a yr. Im mostly a highway roll person. "Since 99% of my driving is on the highway roundtrip from work". And I run into some car's out on the road, I wanted the car to pick up as quick as poss. But like I said at the track I haven't noticed a diff. my 60ft's. stayed the same compared to the stock clutch/and flywheel. " when the stock clutch was in good shape". I feel you can't go wrong with either, but if you could get the lightweight flywheel I would do it.
So in order to maintain your 60 ft. times with the lightweight flywheel, do you have to give it a little more gas to get it off the line? Do you notice any postives from the lightweight flywheel? Does it pick up faster from a roll on the highway?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

TTT for any more reviews of the monster lightweight(18lb) flywheel.

Quick Reply: Which Flywheel?