Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

resurface flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resurface flywheel?

got my trans out on my 2000 camaro ss. stock clutch just blew on me with 88k on her. i am planning on resurfacing the flywheel but some people are telling me that i may need to use shims. this is out of the question for me bc i do not no how to shim in the first place and im doing this job in my driveway on my back in the middle of winter! realy dnt have the right tools to do bench work and test. im putting a centerforce clutch in the car and if i have to take the whole transmission out bc i didnt shim i dnt no wat im going to do i just dnt have the time. do you guys think i will be ok resurfacing the flywheel or should i just replace it? the flywheel has not been resurfaced b4
Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aldenz28
got my trans out on my 2000 camaro ss. stock clutch just blew on me with 88k on her. i am planning on resurfacing the flywheel but some people are telling me that i may need to use shims. this is out of the question for me bc i do not no how to shim in the first place and im doing this job in my driveway on my back in the middle of winter! realy dnt have the right tools to do bench work and test. im putting a centerforce clutch in the car and if i have to take the whole transmission out bc i didnt shim i dnt no wat im going to do i just dnt have the time. do you guys think i will be ok resurfacing the flywheel or should i just replace it? the flywheel has not been resurfaced b4
Per GM spec you cannot resurface the flywheel, it must be replaced. If you try and resurface it, it may change the clutch engagement, which you cannot compensate for without shims, which just leads to more issues.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know a good site i can order a factory flywheel thats not going 2 cost me an arm and a leg
Old 02-15-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Just order an aftermarket flywheel....

Quick Reply: resurface flywheel?