Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

RPS Street Twin Lite Carbon Clutch [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default RPS Street Twin Lite Carbon Clutch [pics]

Back in November, I stumbled across this thread in the Sponsor Sales & Specials:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...iday-sale.html

I talked with Tony on the phone the day after Thanksgiving, and after giving it some thought and talking it over with the better half, I decided to go for the Street Twin Lite. Tony had a great deal on this clutch that I really couldn't pass up, so I decided to give it a try...even on sale, this isn't a cheap setup, so if you are looking for a couple hundred dollar budget clutch, you'll probably want to look elsewhere.

This will be going in my 2002 Camaro SS (picture taken on the day Papa John's was giving away free pizzas to Camaro owners):

Nothing special, and I can assure you, this car doesn't need this much clutch, but eventually I hope to drop a big stroker motor in up front that will need this clutch. For now, it is basically a full bolt-on car with a built drivetrain (12-bolt with 4.11s, carbon fiber driveshaft, built T-56) and suspension (Strano Springs, Koni SAs, UMI everything out back). This thing is a piggy too - I'm carrying around about 60 lbs of amps/sub in the back, and plan to install some sound deadening this spring/summer that will add even more weight. Race weight is about 3800 lbs with me in it right now (that's with a fairly full tank of gas). This is a 100% street car - it has been down the drag strip a few times, but not in the last 3.5 years.

I was in no hurry to get this clutch since my car is put away for the winter, and when it arrived, I looked at it for a few minutes, and put it away in my office closet with a bunch of other crap I've been gathering for warmer weather. Today I was bored and it was snowing, so I decided to take it apart and snap a few pics (see next post):
Old 02-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Default Pictures

The flywheel:

Flywheel side of the inner disk (note the organic material):

Floater side of the inner disk (note the carbon material):

The floater plate (also carbon friction material):

The outer disk (carbon on both sides):

Everything stacked:

Back side of the pressure plate (note the carbon friction material):

And fully assembled:

Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I will update this post at a later date once I actually get to the install (probably a couple months given the current weather) and post my initial driving impressions.

For now I will have to be content doing burnouts on my grandmother's Hoveround
Old 02-15-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks real good my friend. Just wondering though, did you ever get around to having thoe 1 7/8" kooks headers installed? And if you did, was there any noticable differences between those and the 1 3/4" they replaced?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
That looks real good my friend. Just wondering though, did you ever get around to having thoe 1 7/8" kooks headers installed? And if you did, was there any noticable differences between those and the 1 3/4" they replaced?
Yep...those were installed last spring - I didn't really notice a difference good or bad. It basically drives the same as it did...I had to redo the tune a little bit, but nothing significant. It just sounds a little more pissed.

Basically useless info to you, but I never had the patience to do a before/after dyno comparison.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh im not so pickey that i was expecting before and after dyno runs. I was just curious if you were able to notice anything on the seat dyno. I know some people on this forum swear up and down and bet their first born that 1 7/8" headers are terrible for a stockish ls1.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
Oh im not so pickey that i was expecting before and after dyno runs. I was just curious if you were able to notice anything on the seat dyno. I know some people on this forum swear up and down and bet their first born that 1 7/8" headers are terrible for a stockish ls1.
I understand completely...if I lost or gained anything, I didn't notice by my butt-dyno.

I'm not expecting to notice much dropping 4 lbs by switching to this clutch either, but oh well...I sure as hell noticed the difference going from my 58 lbs RAM Powergrip setup to my current 37 lbs RPS single, and this one is 33 lbs according to my scale.

I just wish there wasn't a shitload of snow on the ground right now
Old 02-18-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Steve, since toyota is having all their recalls come up would it be appropriate to bring back the old sig saying that it is all their fault?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Update time...it's only been a little over 3 months since my last post - call me lazy, slow, whatever you like

Let the carnage begin - note the carbon fiber driveshaft and UMI torque arm in the background:

Transmission's out...the remote bleeder line will make its way over to the new slave:

Back of the transmission - note the bronze shifter cup:

Here's a view I don't get to see too often:

Old 05-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

The old clutch - RPS single, 2500 lb. pressure plate:

Closer view:

I can't for the life of me remember how many miles I have on this thing, but it has been in since the spring of 2006, was daily driven until the summer of 2007, after which it became my weekend/nice weather toy.

Flywheel:

Pressure plate:

Organic side of the disk:

Sintered iron side:

...and my favorite part - getting ready to remove the pilot bearing :

Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

New billet steel flywheel:

Getting everything lined up and torqued down - I decided to use something a little nicer than the supplied plastic alignment tool:

...and a good side view showing a little sandwich action:

I took the time to measure the clearances with the bell housing back in place and the new slave installed on the transmission:

Bell housing to pressure plate fingers = 2.1780"

Transmission to throw-out bearing = 1.9670"

Clearance = 0.211" of free space (no shim for this guy)

I decided to replace the current heat wrap on the remote bleeder with a DEI Fire Sleeve, so as soon as that comes in (probably Wednesday), I'll start getting everything buttoned back up. This is the first time I've done a clutch swap on my car without a lift, and to be honest, it sucks *****. It takes much longer doing it on my back, but oh well...
Old 05-31-2010, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Location: Just because the voices aren't real, doesn't mean they're not right!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pix. Looks like you're taking your time, double-checking everything and doing it right.

I can't help but notice that both of these discs have no hub springs and are of the "solid hub" design. Also, due to the view of the pixs of the discs, I couldn't tell if they have Marcel spring plates between the disc,s friction material. In other words, it seems as though this clutch may have more of the "on-off" characteristics common with a strip-only clutch than a street or street/strip clutch and may also have a chatter problem when street driven. Maybe I'm wrong as I haven't seen or heard much feedback on the carbon clutches without hub/Marcel springs.

As I too am looking seriously at a twin clutch in the next month or so, I will be very interested in hearing your feedback on the drive-ability aspects as far as a HD street or street/strip clutch. I haven't made a final decision on brand quite yet, although right now the McLeod RST is highest on my list.

Please keep us posted as to your driving impressions, chatter (if any) and "modulation" characteristics (is it an "on-off" switch?), etc when driven on the street in an "everyday traffic" type situation. If you're like me you want zero chatter issues and good drive-ability manners, in addition to the obvious holding ability.

Last edited by All-In; 06-03-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Typo - duh
Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 AM
TECH Addict

If your looing for a good DD twin, may I recomend the Exedy Hyper twin. Its a little on the steep side but its an awesome clutch. No chatter what so ever and my car shifts so smooth now its scary!

Thread jack over.

Looking foward to reading more about the RPS carbon clutch. haven't seen a lot of info on these and would like to hear how it drives.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

good job on a nice ride OP. im guna be living under my car too,hopefully this weekend, doin the same stuff......cant wait!

btw..... what wheels are in that first pic??? c5 DD front and rear?? looks badass
Old 06-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by BOBthe4dH8r
good job on a nice ride OP. im guna be living under my car too,hopefully this weekend, doin the same stuff......cant wait!

btw..... what wheels are in that first pic??? c5 DD front and rear?? looks badass
Thanks, and they are CCW SP500, 18x10 front, 18x11 rear.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by All-In
I can't help but notice that both of these discs have no hub springs and are of the "solid hub" design. Also, due to the view of the pixs of the discs, I couldn't tell if they have Marcel spring plates between the discs friction material. I other words, it seems as though this clutch may have more of the "on-off" characteristics common with a strip-only clutch than a street or street/strip clutch and may also have a chatter problem when street driven. Maybe I'm wrong as I haven't seen or heard much feedback on the carbon clutches without hub/Marcel springs.

As I too am looking seriously at a twin clutch in the next month or so, I will be very interested in hearing your feedback on the drive-ability aspects as far as a HD street or street/strip clutch. I haven't made a final decision on brand quite yet, although right now the McLeod RST is highest on my list.

Please keep us posted as to your driving impressions, chatter (if any) and "modulation" characteristics (is it an "on-off" switch?), etc when driven on the street in an "everyday traffic" type situation. If you're like me you want zero chatter issues and good drive-ability manners, in addition to the obvious holding ability.
Until today, I had no idea what a Marcel spring even was, so I had to do some reading/looking to try and answer this question.

Looking at the old friction disk, it looks like it did have the Marcel springs, and obviously the sprung hub. The Marcel springs (if these are indeed what they are) are held in place by rivets, seen below:

Not only do the new friction disks not have sprung hubs, they also don't appear to have Marcel springs simply due to not having the rivets where I'd expect to see them:

My reasoning could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure your observations are correct. A phone call could verify that, and maybe I will ask, but at this point, it is going in even if it means disappointment.

I'm not expecting this to be as streetable as something like an LS7 clutch, but I'm still expecting to be able to drive this in heavy traffic without looking like an idiot. My RPS single that came out certainly did chatter, even with the sprung hub and Marcel springs. It wasn't horrible, but I still didn't like it. I've been assured by Tony that this thing would not chatter, so at this point, that's all I have to go on. I'm definitely interested to see how it drives with my car - the 4.11 gears out back should help, but the last time I weighed this tank with a full load of gas and me behind the wheel, it came in around 3850 lbs. I have a feeling any inherent crappiness in the drivability department will become readily apparent.

I'm expecting the first drive to be a little harsh - not being broken in and having not driven a clutch like it will probably result in some pretty on/off engagements, especially with my Tick master that already shortens the engagement window. Either way, I'll be sure to let you know how it does
Old 06-01-2010, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

here's a little info on a marcel spring. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles.../photo_09.html And where did you get the bronze shifter cup? Keep us posted on drivability too.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by WS6 SRT-8
And where did you get the bronze shifter cup?
Tick Performance:

http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...body/t56parts/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page - it is under "Hard Parts" (Bronze Shifter Bushing (Spring Cup Isolator) - $24.99).
Old 06-02-2010, 02:12 AM
hashtagBMW

Nice!

I just put on an LT1 twin disk last week.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Location: Just because the voices aren't real, doesn't mean they're not right!

Quick Reply: RPS Street Twin Lite Carbon Clutch [pics]