Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pedal so low hard to shif in gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pedal so low hard to shif in gear

Okay I recently replaced my clutch to a RAM Hx from a spec clutch the spec went out after a few hundred miles the pedal was high and easy to disengaged I got the flywheel resurface the slave was new I left the shim/ spacer that came with the spec clutch behind the slave cylinder the RAM kit didnt have one I also didn't take the line out the slave so I didnt have to bleed the clutch do you think I have to rebleed it so I can bring the clutch higher the pedal I mean if so how do I do it manually
Old 02-16-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipsta510fazn
Okay I recently replaced my clutch to a RAM Hx from a spec clutch the spec went out after a few hundred miles the pedal was high and easy to disengaged I got the flywheel resurface the slave was new I left the shim/ spacer that came with the spec clutch behind the slave cylinder the RAM kit didnt have one I also didn't take the line out the slave so I didnt have to bleed the clutch do you think I have to rebleed it so I can bring the clutch higher the pedal I mean if so how do I do it manually
Your first issue is that you are not supposed to resurface the flywheel in these cars. Replace, do not resurface. Especially after you've cooked a clutch on that flywheel.

Did the Ram kit specify to use a shim?? As far as I know, only the Spec clutches use a shim. In which case you should have taken the shim out, just like it is from the factory.

How did you pull the trans and replace the clutch without removing the line from the slave??
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

i took the tranny from the the bellhousing and had left the line in the slave cylinder and had it hanging on the side...then took out the bellhousing... then i got to the flywheel got it resurfaced then got the clutch then put everything back together with the shim behind the slave
Old 02-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

i talked to ram and they said i need to buy an adjustable master is that what i should do?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If RAM says you're going to need an adjustable master to use their clutch, then you're going to have to get one to make it work.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
FormerVendor

If the pedal was high your car may have been one of the few that do not need a shim. As you likely know every car is a bit different and over the years I have seen as much as 1/4" difference in total bearing/slave depth when compressed. The pedal should not have been high with our parts and if it was then the bearing was likely pre-loading the diaphragm which would cause it to wear more quickly. Effectively this would cause the clutch to be partially released even when the pedal was fully released. Is the pedal high now? If so...pull the shim? If not then you could use an adjustable master to further adjust things.