Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch pedal dead half way..still works though.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal dead half way..still works though.

The thread says it all pretty much. Clutch is working and doesn't seem to be getting worse. The pedal comes all the way back to the top and then its just like nothing is there for the first half of travel. Then it goes to the floor like normal. Clutch seemingly disengages fully. All gears work fine with the exception of anything over 5k rpm. Then it is hard to go from 3 to 4. Clutch engages close to the floor. Thankfully I like it down close instead of up top. Any ideas?

Also, my shifter doesn't return to the middle when I take it out of 1-2 or 5-6. What could that be? Would a new shifter (pro 5.0 or hurst billet plus) fix that issue?

Cheers.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:54 AM
FormerVendor

The fact that you have no effort in the upper portion of your pedal travel would generally lead me to think of this as a hydraulic issue. Of course having a bit more info might help. What clutch kit are you using? What car do you have? Does the effort or lack of pressure change when you pump the pedal? Do you have the original slave and master cylinder in the car? Let me know and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,
Old 02-20-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im having the same issue with my 99 (49k miles). clutch is fine, but the pedal is dead for the first half of travel. after a few miles of driving it will get better, approx 90% firm.

Fluid is topped off, thinking its a hydraullic issue.

Is it possible to change the master and not the slave. Ive had all lt1 cars, so not 100% familiar with the LS stuff yet.

Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks,
Old 02-20-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also, i do have the stock master and slave in the car. thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Teching In

It you can pump up the pedal then it's definitely a clutch cylinder issue. Master or slave?...I can't say for sure. But yes, you can swap the clutch master cylinder by itself. The slave is located inside the transmission so it's a huge pain to do yourself if you don't have a lift and the proper jacks. And it's costly to pay somebody to do it as well. Check your master cylinder for leaks before a comittment is made to drop the tranny. The slaves on 98-00 are known to be total crap so I have a hung it's the slave.

Anybody have an idea why my shifter doesn't pop back to the middle when I take it out of gear? I can move it straight down out of 5th and it just stays there instead of moving between 3rd and 4th.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal dead half way..still works though.