Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting Problem: Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifting Problem: Help!

Is there not some type of bushing/guide in the shifting rod for a T56 trans which the shifter (shaft) goes in or sits in. The reason why I ask this question is because I replaced a leaking shifter gasket (B&M) on my T56 last week. Initially I missed putting the shifter shaft (B&M) in the hole trans shifting rod, and button everything back-up. I wasn't aware of this fact until I was ready to leave the autocraft shop and was unable to move the shifter in any direction. So, I took the shifter back off and re-installed it correctly, and now it's very hard to shift (especially in 2,4 & 6 gears). This is why I'm asking the question about the bushing/guide. I'm thinking that this part has now lodged in the trans and is preventing movement of the shifting shaft in the trans. My other thought is that I have possibly have damaged (bended) the shifting shaft in the trans or the shaft on the shifter itself?

Philly-Goat
Old 02-25-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a plastic bushing in the offset lever, but they typically won't fall out unless it was worn to begin with and it would affect all gears, not just the even ones. Did you check your shifter stops on the B&M? Sounds like the rearward one has come loose and preventing engagement to the rearward (2,4,6) gears.

Check the stops first, then pull the shifter again to check for the bushing.

(Is this on a GTO? Just wondering because of your username. They have some internal linkage would could bend, but not probable)
Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
There's a plastic bushing in the offset lever, but they typically won't fall out unless it was worn to begin with and it would affect all gears, not just the even ones. Did you check your shifter stops on the B&M? Sounds like the rearward one has come loose and preventing engagement to the rearward (2,4,6) gears.

Check the stops first, then pull the shifter again to check for the bushing.

(Is this on a GTO? Just wondering because of your username. They have some internal linkage would could bend, but not probable)
Thanks for replying 85MikeTPI! Yes, it is a GTO and I'm having problems in all gears, but rearward gears are the worst. So, this plastic bushing in the offset lever...I'm guessing this is around the lower lever or something? How would I know it's missing? Could I just take off the leather shift handle and see it, or not? Also, I did not check the shifter stops, but I will this weekend. Thanks for all of your help!

Philly-Goat
Old 02-27-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The offset lever bushing is inside the tailhousing. You have to unbolt the shifter from the transmission to see it. The bushing is the round cup where the ball-end portion of the shifter fits into the offset lever.

Shifting Problem: Help!-102_7552.jpg

More-than-likely, it's your shifter-stops though.. You don't really need them on the T56, so back them out and lock them with the jam nut and a dab of loctite to keep them from vibrating loose.

Quick Reply: Shifting Problem: Help!