Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installed new OE clutch and cant get in any gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed new OE clutch and cant get in any gear

I just installed a brand new luk clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. My textralia shattered one day out of nowhere due to the rivets falling out of the clutch disc. Anyways did the install, thought everything was torqued properly. Bled the clutch with mityvac and had great pedal pressure.
Start it and the car will NOT go in gear with the car running. Shifts fine with it off. Also installed a new slave because the line broke off the old one. Even when the textralia broke it would go into gear while running.
What would cause this? Ive read the threads that say to shim or adjust the master cylinder (I can't mine is stock) but this is a oem clutch. The only thing I can figure is the pressure plate is overtorqued and not releasing, however I was very careful to tighten it in a star pattern in 15,30,52 lb intervals.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

I've heard from other people on this board that if the plugs for the reverse lock out solenoid and the skip shift are swapped that the car won't go into gear while it's on. worth a check
Old 03-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Teching In

thanks ill have to check that, doubt I could get so lucky though lol.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the plugs for the reverse lock out solenoid and the skip shift are swapped that the car won't go into gear
Really ? Wonder if that's my problem ? My RX7 is doing the same thing as trez car. I'm going to see if I got back up lights, brb.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Just tried to switch the plugs... did not fix my problem. Also when the car is started in gear it will move forward and lurch forward when the clutch is released.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Did some more reading and forgot to mention this. As I torqued down the pressure plate the fingers on it would bend/flex. Similar to this pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/35767627@N04/4039740842/
Only way worse maybe a half inch difference and in a wavy shape. So I took it off and retorqued it being sure to do it in a star pattern. Same result... I guess I am going to take it apart and return the clutch and try another one.
Has anyone seen this happen to the pressure plate when tightening the bolts to the flywheel??
Old 03-04-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the OE clutches are made by Luk, I can't imagine that there is a fitment issue. The fingers will go in as you tighten it of course because the disc is raising th pressure plate. If you didn't bolt it up in three passes using a star pattern you may have bent it. Try a new one and take your time tightening it in three passes, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Teching In

New clutch in drives fine. Apparently the other one was bent from the factory or I did somehow. Glad its working now, reinstalling the tranny is a PITA. It didn't go smooth the first or second time.