Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do built transmissions whine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do built transmissions whine?

This sounds like a dumb question but I bought a built t56 that had a 1600$ build from t56rebuilds and when I put it in it kinda whines like a supercharger.

Anybuddy got any clues?

I mostly hear the whine in 1st and second....barely hear it in 3rd, Im sure i would hear it more if it wasnt for wind, exhaust, and my rear end howling like crazy lol
Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

That depends on how loud it is. Typically if you install a new input shaft and run it against a used cluster gear, you could pick up some noise. Usually it goes away once the gears sort of break in to each other.

Another reason it will whine is if you (1) forgot to put fluid in it and ran it or (2) was ran low on fluid at one point in its life time.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Years ago I had a Saginaw whine like it was straight cut gears. Turned out to be a bum bearing on the input shaft.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flip 2
Years ago I had a Saginaw whine like it was straight cut gears. Turned out to be a bum bearing on the input shaft.
My brother's T56 whined a little, and it was the input shaft bearing too. Turns out the pilot bearing had exploded and the input shaft was moving around, destroying the bearing.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

What u think worst case scenario could be with this? Lock up on me?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stang-Slayer
What u think worst case scenario could be with this? Lock up on me?
Depends on what is causing the noise. If its a bad bearing, it could lock up. If it was ran low on fluid once before but has fluid now, it will probably just continue to whine. If a new input shaft was installed against a used cluster gear when it was rebuilt, it might quite down over time or might not.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Well I tested it out a little more today.....whining definately stops in 4th gear, just 1st - 3rd
Old 03-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

I would lean toward your rear cluster gear bearing. 1st is closest to that bearing and the 3rd farest away and 4th gear doesn't use/no load on the cluster gear.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

Well I tested it out a little more today.....whining definately stops in 4th gear, just 1st - 3rd
Its probably the input shaft and counter shaft or commonly known as the cluster gear.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Well damn...

I just rechecked my fluid lvl....Car was level on jackstands....Transmission looked pretty level, I took off the fill plug and fluid came out so it looks like thats good....

Must be a bad bearing then I guess
Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Banned

Well damn...

I just rechecked my fluid lvl....Car was level on jackstands....Transmission looked pretty level, I took off the fill plug and fluid came out so it looks like thats good....

Must be a bad bearing then I guess
Just because its full now doesn't mean the unit was not ran low at some point before you got it.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

yea that makes sense....is there anything I should look for to tell if its about to go out?....like noise-wise or vibration wise?

Originally Posted by thesource
Just because its full now doesn't mean the unit was not ran low at some point before you got it.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Banned

If the noise goes away when you apply 4th gear, I am 99% sure its the input shaft and cluster gear. But like I also said, it could be simply a new input shaft being ran against a used cluster gear or it could be that they were run low on oil.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Ok im getting scared now hahaha.....
If im at a stop and the car is idling in neutral it makes some noise (hard to explain what kind, not a whining though)

But if I push in the clutch the noise goes away....Anybody thinking imminent failure coming around the corner?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

If im at a stop and the car is idling in neutral it makes some noise (hard to explain what kind, not a whining though)

But if I push in the clutch the noise goes away....Anybody thinking imminent failure coming around the corner?
Mines doing the same thing with the clutch out and whines like that in first and second, i just posted today what happened to mine and i am waiting for some input
Old 03-11-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

mine does that too. i just had my tranny rebuilt and put a new clutch and a pro 5.0 on. i thought i could just hear more comin from my tranny cuz of the pro 5.0 but idk.. but ya when the clutch is disengaged the noise slows down and stops. then when i slip my foot off the clutch (in nutral) you can hear it grab and can hear the nose again...
Old 03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jb98camaro
mine does that too. i just had my tranny rebuilt and put a new clutch and a pro 5.0 on. i thought i could just hear more comin from my tranny cuz of the pro 5.0 but idk.. but ya when the clutch is disengaged the noise slows down and stops. then when i slip my foot off the clutch (in nutral) you can hear it grab and can hear the nose again...
the aftermarket shifter makes minor noise that i couldnt hear once i did an aftermarket exhaust setup but i thought that was more while driving in gear
Old 03-12-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1plus
the aftermarket shifter makes minor noise that i couldnt hear once i did an aftermarket exhaust setup but i thought that was more while driving in gear
thats what i was figuring but its a tid louder than i thought it would be. everyone that rides in my car points it out. im strait piped with a muffler and i can still hear it quite a bit.. prob just is the shifter tho
Old 03-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Teching In

When it breaks, fix it. Until then, who cares. Everything makes noise on these cars.

And yes, my trans whines a little, it's whined for two years. The last M6 F-body I had did the same thing and I had that for two years. I never had any issues with the M6 transmission, and always kept the fluid full on them.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jb98camaro
thats what i was figuring but its a tid louder than i thought it would be. everyone that rides in my car points it out. im strait piped with a muffler and i can still hear it quite a bit.. prob just is the shifter tho
Aftermarket shifters WILL make the whine very noticeable.

Quick Reply: Do built transmissions whine?