Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help! slight grinding shifting into 2nd gear when warm only.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! slight grinding shifting into 2nd gear when warm only.

Ok i'll try to keep this short but i have a lot to say and some background info.

bought the car with 89k on it. 95 camaro z28 m6. it has 145k on it now and i believe the stock clutch and stock tranny (never been pulled to be repaired or rebuilt). I am the second owner and i dont recall him saying he had any tranny work.

the car has always shifted fine never had a problem with any gears or anything. i am very very easy on the clutch.

now the problem im having. recently a few months ago i was driving and i rolled to a stop light and stopped. light turned green i was in neutral foot off the clutch. so i pressed the clutch in, and tried to shift to first and it wouldn't shift. felt very odd never done it before. tried second and it wouldnt go. released clutch, clutched in again and it went into first. i took off and went to shift into 2nd and it wouldnt go into 2nd. i released clutch and i was still rolling a little and i got it in 2nd and it drove fine through all gears afterwards. i got home ok and drove the next day and from then on it had started to give me a slight grind when shifting into 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th, but its the most noticable and apparent in 2nd gear. it is intermittent especially with 3rd-6th gears. the thing is that it shifts through all gears fine 1-6th when the car is cold but after a few miles of driving and the car warmed up is when it will start to slightly grind in 2nd. it does this with clutch all the way in and shifting into 2nd gear and then releasing the clutch and driving.

it is really odd as i have taken very good care of the transmission and driving very easy on it since i have gotten it. the clutch seems to still grab very strong but i think it might be somethign to do with it. it pulls great in all gears no slippage but i was thinking it still might be the clutch because of the miles hopefully instead of the 1-2 synchro or all of them. i am really hoping to not have to rebuild it and hoping that it just needs a new clutch, throwout bearing, flywheel, and pressure plate. i didnt bleed the clutch but i replaced all the fluid in the reservoir with new clear fluid. i also just drained the tranny fluid today and refilled with mobil 1 synthetic atf and i really thought it was the fluid but it didnt fix it. it still slightly grinds in 2nd after warming up. i had an slp short throw shifter in there and it never popped out of any gears and today when i drained and refilled the tranny fluid i changed the shifter out to a pro 5.0 and when i went to test drive it to see if the fluid change fixed the grinding it popped out of 2nd a few times. never done this before with the slp short throw. i think its the pro 5.0 and the stop bolts on it and the #6 boot taht is tight against the shifter. i was going to either take ou tthe stop bolts or loosen them some more to make sure the shifter has enough room to stay into 2nd gear. just did this a few times todaya with the pro 5.0 never with the slp short throw.

please let me know if any of you have had any problem like this and i hope its not the synchros and a rebuild because that is probably a lot of $$$ how much for a rebuild kit for everyhting? how much would labor usually run? also if i was to do that what would be the best clutch kit to get? just for street daily use. i only have bolt ons a few of them thats it no crazy power or anything. please any ideas would be great. thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Teching In

anybody have any ideas? does anyone think it might be the clutch slave cylinder needing bleeding or a new one? i thought about trying that first before i go to replace the clutch and/or rebuild the t56 cause it would cost sa ton to do that. whats teh best way to bleed the slave cylinder? theres no bleed scre on it right? do i have to take it out of the transmission and pump the cylinder by hand? what do i open to bleed the fluid? i have a lt1 t56 also. thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Teching In

i havent checked the thread in awhile and havent had too much time to work with it but any ideas anyone
Old 04-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem and would like a good response too! but i have a 2010 camaro. only tips i heard was to do a clutch fluid flush. Or at least just bleed from the slave cylinder to make sure no air is in the clutch fluid. Changed ur clutch fluid or any mods lately?
I have did the flush but trying to figure how to bleed it on a 2010 cam. It helped a good bit but it still there with doin just a flush.
I hope to get some replies also. I have another thread about my problem in detail!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Teching In

hey hows it going. you have the same problem also on your 2010? have you taken it bacck to the dealer to have it checked out? it shoudl definitely be under warranty? if you take it back there and they fix it or find out whats wrong iwth it could you let me know? i have cleaned all the fluid in the reservior out by siphoning and self bleeding but i havent physically bled it yet. i was going to try that and go from there but im hoping its not my 2nd gear or 2nd gear syncrho acting up and on its way out. i think it might possibly be clutch even though its still grabs strong it seems maybe its the clutch once it gets warmed up its not engaging the gears right and the clutch isnt fully disengaged cause its warn its got 145k on it no mods except draining tranny fluid thinking that was the problem. no change from that. wheres your thread on the problem? thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Teching In

http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/sh...4&goto=newpost

Quick Reply: Help! slight grinding shifting into 2nd gear when warm only.