Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dug the C5 out, went for a drive and busted the clutch - Wonders of a new vette owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:58 PM
RSL
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dug the C5 out, went for a drive and busted the clutch - Wonders of a new vette owner

Hey All,

Dug the vette out of it's winter parking spot and took it out for a few mile drive - as I was pulling back in the driveway with the clutch depressed I blipped the throttle and the car lurched forward as if it was still in gear. I immediately jammed on the brakes and pulled the car out of gear.

Upon inspection it's puking all the fluid out near the middle (back of trans, I assume area). Car is too low to get on any ramps and I don't have a jack that will fit underneath yet. I'll probably fab up some ramps tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

I push the clutch in, it stays planted to the floor. I lift it off the floor and it pops out - no line pressure at all.

I assume that I blew a hydraulic line of sorts. Anybody care to hazard a guess?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RSL
Hey All,

Dug the vette out of it's winter parking spot and took it out for a few mile drive - as I was pulling back in the driveway with the clutch depressed I blipped the throttle and the car lurched forward as if it was still in gear. I immediately jammed on the brakes and pulled the car out of gear.

Upon inspection it's puking all the fluid out near the middle (back of trans, I assume area). Car is too low to get on any ramps and I don't have a jack that will fit underneath yet. I'll probably fab up some ramps tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

I push the clutch in, it stays planted to the floor. I lift it off the floor and it pops out - no line pressure at all.

I assume that I blew a hydraulic line of sorts. Anybody care to hazard a guess?

My guess would be the master cylinder, or maybe the slave both are known to fail. Just thought I would put that out there. If you find it was the master cylinder then I would look into the tick adj, master. Any other one would be a waste of time an money.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:57 PM
RSL
Teching In

Originally Posted by Snapps
My guess would be the master cylinder, or maybe the slave both are known to fail. Just thought I would put that out there. If you find it was the master cylinder then I would look into the tick adj, master. Any other one would be a waste of time an money.
Cool - thanks for the response.

I got 'er up in the air finally (pissed at myself for not being as resourceful as I should have been. Look like it was leaking from the top of the bellhousing. I'm researching what I can online right now and letting the roommate poke around in her while I do. I've already learned more about the car today than I had previously since I only got her in October and she's been hibernating since November.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:57 PM
RSL
Teching In

BTW - anybody have any digital copies of a corvette repair manual?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:18 PM
RSL
Teching In

- Assume: Master Cylinder is Good

- Down trace the line from the master cylinder to the clutch reservoir? Seems ok. Making a gurgling noise where the line connects into the top of the transmission tunnel - Can't seem to get at it, hope this isn't a pull the transmission type of deal.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RSL
- Assume: Master Cylinder is Good

- Down trace the line from the master cylinder to the clutch reservoir? Seems ok. Making a gurgling noise where the line connects into the top of the transmission tunnel - Can't seem to get at it, hope this isn't a pull the transmission type of deal.

It's the salve cylinder or the connection @ the slave cylinder. Yes, it's a pull the transmission deal. To replace the slave, you slde the transmission out of the clutch/rear of engine, in order to unbolt & remove the slave. Check "LS1howto.com" for instructions on how to replace the slave cylinder.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's puking fluid out of the transmission, that's no where near the slave on a C5. If it's puking fluid out of the bell housing, then it's probably the slave.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1-450
It's the salve cylinder or the connection @ the slave cylinder. Yes, it's a pull the transmission deal. To replace the slave, you slde the transmission out of the clutch/rear of engine, in order to unbolt & remove the slave. Check "LS1howto.com" for instructions on how to replace the slave cylinder.

He has a C5. The transmission does not bolt to the bell housing, the torque tube bolts to the bell housing and the transmission is in the rear. It's much more involved than an F-body.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:20 PM
RSL
Teching In

Thanks for the replies - the roommate and I came to similar conclusions the same time that you guys were replying.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=kenp;12991285 If it's puking fluid out of the bell housing, then it's probably the slave.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by RSL
I got 'er up in the air finally (pissed at myself for not being as resourceful as I should have been. Look like it was leaking from the top of the bellhousing. r.

kenp, as you can see, OP clearly states "bellhousing", read the thread. Agreed, the moving of the trans was off; regardless, it's a slave issue.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:41 AM
RSL
Teching In

email has been sent to new era performance - we'll see what they say they want.

Quick Reply: Dug the C5 out, went for a drive and busted the clutch - Wonders of a new vette owner