100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

To install solid mounts before or after clutch swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To install solid mounts before or after clutch swap

I had planned on doing my clutch swap in my garage on jack stands this weekend. My jack of the last 12 years, sprung a leak. It is easily repairable, just need some time to do it. Buddy of mine has a lift, but is such a pain to deal with about using it. I asked him and he said I could use it today. Then he changed his mind and said it was busy. After that he said I could do it on his shop floor with all of his air tools, jacks and stands. He backed out on that too.

I had it in my mind that I was going to use the lift, and you cant go from filet mignon to ground beef, so I am going to wait until it is open, which should be tomorrow night or sometime during this week.

SO, I have free time today, should I go ahead and swap out the stock motor mounts for the solids I have, and the trans mount, or wait til the clutch install due to being able to move the engine?
Old 03-14-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

UHHHHH let me help you out on this one,, There aint no way you are gonna get the clutch out or in with solid mounts bolted tight, aint gonna happen. I had them on mine for a week, The driveline noise was loud, I could hear and feel everything going on. I Didnt mind it so much but here was the problem, you CAN NOT remove a couple of the bell housing bolts with solid mounts. NOT gonna happen period. You will have to go up to the mounts and remove some bolts to get the engine to tilt back to be able to get the bell housing off. SO to answer your original question. UNLESS you like doing things again I would not put the mounts in before the clutch or you will be taking the mounts loose again. I sold my solid spohns and went with the poly mounts, I wouldnt go solid ever again.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

went fishing instead
Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Hey I have had solids in for about 3 years, RARON is right about the bolts, so you can go his way about it, or not put in the top bolts at all which is what I did, your also going to have to make 2 cuts to the rear of where the shifter goes so that you can pull the metal up some when you slide your transmission back. Other than that I had my trans up on a lift when I did it, And I believe I had to take the Headers off to install the mounts easier, or at all. All in All I like them, cant say I feel what he is talking about, though I do have the car set up for more handling and ride quality as I race the car on road courses and its my daily driver. Hope this helps
Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am just planning on putting them on after I have the trans put back in. I hope I don't have to remove the headers. I have mid lengths, which hopefully will give me a little more room.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

might be able to keep the headers on considering they are midlengths, I know I couldnt with my long tubes, all I can tell you is GOOOOOOD LUUUUCCK