Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

input shaft grease/bleeding question

Old 03-21-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default input shaft grease/bleeding question

hey guys, im ready to put my trans back in the car, but i have a few questions

1. should i put grease on the splines on the input shaft before i install it? If so, what kind, i have lithium grease and wheel bearing grease

2. my input shaft is a little dirty around the pilot bearing area, is it ok to get some scotch brite to clean/polish it up? If not, what can i do?

3. i already installed the clutch/pressure plate, and i put the pilot bushing in dry, i have talked to a ton of people, and half say to leave it dry, the other half say to put grease in there, so what should i do? I can put some grease on the clutch alignment tool and stick it in there so it gets on the pilot

4. when i bleed the slave, can i just put the mityvac in the master resivore, and connect a hose in a jar of brake fluid to the bleeder on the slave and suck fluid up through? I dont want to damage the seals in the master, but it seems very easy, and a good way to get the air out quick

thanks!!
Old 03-21-2010, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
hey guys, im ready to put my trans back in the car, but i have a few questions

1. should i put grease on the splines on the input shaft before i install it? If so, what kind, i have lithium grease and wheel bearing grease

2. my input shaft is a little dirty around the pilot bearing area, is it ok to get some scotch brite to clean/polish it up? If not, what can i do?

3. i already installed the clutch/pressure plate, and i put the pilot bushing in dry, i have talked to a ton of people, and half say to leave it dry, the other half say to put grease in there, so what should i do? I can put some grease on the clutch alignment tool and stick it in there so it gets on the pilot

4. when i bleed the slave, can i just put the mityvac in the master resivore, and connect a hose in a jar of brake fluid to the bleeder on the slave and suck fluid up through? I dont want to damage the seals in the master, but it seems very easy, and a good way to get the air out quick

thanks!!
1 Yes a very light coat of high-temp grease. not to much to where you could possibly contaminate the clutch. Just a very light coat to help installation.

2 Its not necessary but if you do, do it by hand.

3 Like stated above. Install with a light coat of grease and the coat of grease that was applied in step one will be adequate.

4 yes. just don't pull anything over 15''hg so not to risk blowing the seals. I recommend a speed bleeder as its the quickest one man way to do it.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks, the splines already had a small amount of grease on them, so i left everything alone.

i got my trans and everything back in the car, just need to bleed the slave (ugh) and i should be ready to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: input shaft grease/bleeding question