Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch failure analysis.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch failure analysis.

Ok First, it's obviously oil that contaminated the friction surface... But Where did it come from?

Oil here in the bottom.

Flywheel:

Pressure plate:

Now, here is the kicker... Back of the flywheel is dry, aside from where the crank mounts to the flywheel. The flywheel bolts were were the oil was coming from. They were all very tight, and the back side were certainly covered in oil, however, there was no oil on the back of the flywheel directly from the oil pan leak. You can see the leak came out through the flywheel bolts onto the clutch, not from the back side as one would expect from an oilpan leak.

Here is a picture eliminating the possibility of a leak at the rear crank oil plug.

Another showing no oil problems at the rear main seal:

opinions? The oil pan gasket is leaking, but there wasn't any trace of oil on the back of the flywheel where the gasket would have been leaking at. Car was fine for 9000 miles, then all the sudden after a day in traffic it starts slipping in 4th gearish.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Could it be seeping past the Fly Wheel Bolts..?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where the rear cover meets the pan theres a leak...looks like from blowby

flywheel damage looks really weird never seen it in 2 spot like that
Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by daniel6718
where the rear cover meets the pan theres a leak...looks like from blowby

flywheel damage looks really weird never seen it in 2 spot like that
Actually thats the oilpan gasket leaking. But I can't confirm that contributed to the problem because of the lack of oil all over the back of the flywheel. If you look at the trail of where the oil came across the flywheel, it came from the center.

The flywheel bolts themselves are "wet" as I understand it. I believe the oil came from behind the flywheel bolts. When I installed them I only used the Moly lube from ARP as instructed, however I think that this may be wrong. McLeod recommends red loctite here, I'm assuming because it also seals the passage and prevents oil from passing through as well. The stock Flywheel bolts that are TTY also have some paste on them.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Sounds like it's seeping past the Bolts.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it's seeping past the Bolts.
What can he do to prep the bolts so it doesn't happen again ?
(cuz the same thing happened to me)
Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

After a couple searches, it looks like other people with ARP flywheel bolts have the same problem when it comes to using loctite/moly lube.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

I wonder if a small amount of RTV will hurt anything.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Launching!

That kinda worries me. I'm about to do mine but using brand new gm bolts and red loctite. Would it be better to do a dab of rtv on the end of the thread then just loctite closer to the bolt head? I don't think this is too common but you never know.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

If you use brand new bolts you shouldn't have an issue. they come with a little sauce on them already which will work fine.

I was using ARP hardware on the flywheel which was only sealed with moly lube. That's not enough to seal from oil coming through.

I'm probably going to go back to using the stock GM flywheel bolts. (which are TTY, and not re-usable, FYI)
Old 03-25-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmoked1
That kinda worries me. I'm about to do mine but using brand new gm bolts and red loctite. Would it be better to do a dab of rtv on the end of the thread then just loctite closer to the bolt head? I don't think this is too common but you never know.
I would not suggest using RED loctite to attempt to solve this problem, RTV around the threads would be a much better solution.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

My solution to this problem is to take the ARP Flywheel bolts and throw them in the trash. Put in the stock GM 12563533 flywheel bolts. Ordered a Spec Stage 3+ and a new friction surface for my fidanza billet steel flywheel.

The bottom line is, there is oil behind the flywheel bolts, and there needs to be loctite on the bolts to seal the passageways to prevent oil from coming through.

Should have everything bolted back together and working again by next weekend.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not trying to thread jack, but i just recently ordered a Monster Clutch, and i bought GM replacement bolts. Are the ARP really that superior to the GM stuff, when brand new? Also the GM bolts come with thread locker already on them, do i need to use more, something like red locktite?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

If you're using a new set of stock GM flywheel bolts you do NOT need to add anything to them (thread locker/RTV/Sealant) however they are torque to yeild and MUST be replaced if they are torqued down/then removed.

The solution to using ARP bolts is to use thread sealant or thread locker (Loctite red is fine because you're using a bolt that will not round off when it comes time to remove it). Use moly lube directly under the head of the bolt and first couple of threads, this will ensure proper torque and prevent any leaks.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Clutch failure analysis.