Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 Flywheel Problems "Shaking with Clutch Use"

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 Flywheel Problems "Shaking with Clutch Use"

Hey guy I have a 95 m6 TA. I got the car about a year ago from my friends parents. He died a couple of years ago and they wanted me to have it. So the reason I said that was because while he had the car he went through a couple of clutches, but I am not able to get any info on the previous installs. I think these clutches were just Autozone replacements. I don't think he ever had the flywheel resurfaced. So for a couple of years now the car has had a vibration during clutch use. It is worse when you are starting off, but you can still feel it when you are just changing gears.

So I am thinking that the flywheel may have hot spots in it. Does that sound reasonable? If so since the car has had so many clutches and over 200k miles I was wanting to replace it. So I start reading and I see where your LT1 flywheel is balanced. Should I just buy a new flywheel and carry both of them to a machine shop and have the new one balanced to the old one's specs. Or is the old one probably not a good reference for balancing the new since it is probably in really bad shape? I don't think the clutch has anymore than a couple thousand miles on it. So would I need to replace it if I replace the flywheels with a new aluminum one? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can trade your old one in at Autozone for a reman. They take the old one as a core charge. I had one in my 96 Z28 and it worked great. They are balanced same as factory (external balance), so there's no need to take it to the machine shop.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spartan7
You can trade your old one in at Autozone for a reman. They take the old one as a core charge. I had one in my 96 Z28 and it worked great. They are balanced same as factory (external balance), so there's no need to take it to the machine shop.
Sweet, so all factory flywheels are balanced identical? Do you think it is probably my flywheel?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

It "could" be the FW. If it was never resurfaced on clutch swaps. Replace the clutch and get the FW resurfaced or replace it with new. I bought one at Kragen. $130 with a $100 core return = $30

$30 is typically cheaper than getting a FW resurfaced which is around $40 at most places.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:50 AM

Default Do not use an autozone clutch...

or any other "local" auto stores clutch. LS1 clutches are notoriously finicky. You don't need some wild assed clutch to do the job, and with the proper tools it's relatively easy to do if you take your time.
Here's the article and a piece out of it.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ork/index.html

David Norton of Star Performance Engineered Clutches in Hueytown, Alabama. David's company specializes in LT1 and LS1 clutch assemblies for F-bodies.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: LT1 Flywheel Problems "Shaking with Clutch Use"