Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tick m/c questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tick m/c questions

just got my 99 TA swapped from a4 to m6 and i have a question about the hydraulics: i've read that the clutch pedal should be a bit lower than the brake pdeal when adjusted properly, mine is actually a bit high, is that bad? if so, is fixing it easy?

as for how it feels...i'm actually learning to drive stick as we speak so i really have no basis for comparison but first gear is pretty tricky. the car either jerks or shimmies, or both (i've been told that this is not uncommon while breaking in puck type clutches like my monster 3) but everything else seems normal.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS101
just got my 99 TA swapped from a4 to m6 and i have a question about the hydraulics: i've read that the clutch pedal should be a bit lower than the brake pdeal when adjusted properly, mine is actually a bit high, is that bad? if so, is fixing it easy?

as for how it feels...i'm actually learning to drive stick as we speak so i really have no basis for comparison but first gear is pretty tricky. the car either jerks or shimmies, or both (i've been told that this is not uncommon while breaking in puck type clutches like my monster 3) but everything else seems normal.
Did you follow the direction? If you did it right then thats where it needs to be.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS101
clutch pedal should be a bit lower than the brake pdeal when adjusted properly, mine is actually a bit high, is that bad? if so, is fixing it easy?
There's really no universal setting for the hydraulic/pedal length, meaning that everyone's is going to be different. It does seem like most will be slightly below the brake pedal, but that doesn't mean it's a benchmark for every car. So long as the directions were followed, it's fine; you don't wont to over extend the slave. (to be completely honest, i have my pedal set higher than where it's supposed/needs to be set because i didn't like it so low )

Mine feels a lot more stout that the stock cmc, although i've gotten used to it. It only takes about 2 inches of travel to fully disengage