Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ls1 t56 to SBC bellhousing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls1 t56 to SBC bellhousing question

Ok so I'm putting a ls1 t56 behind my sbc, but I'm on a tight budget and really cant afford a $400 bellhousing to adapt this trans. I'm still using the hydraulic clutch. So here is my question. ATS has a pdf file (supplied below) on adapting a lsx t56 to a sbc by using a 3/8 plate between the bellhousing and block. My question is instead of placing the 3/8 spacing between the block and bellhousing, why not make a 3/8 spacer to fit between the bellhousing and the trans itself?

Reason why I ask is when you read the link it says cut the bellhousing...why not space the bellhousing away from the trans along with the throwout bearing and not cut anything. I know this is not the ideal way to do this swap but I'm itchin for money and this looks to be a cheaper alternative and I want to get this thing on the road. What do you guys think? Anyone try this or the spacer between the block and bellhousing?

ATS pdf file:
http://www.americantouringspecialtie...ds/files/4.pdf
Old 03-30-2010, 04:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Link doesn't work for me.. Are you saying you want to use the LS OEM hyd master/slave setup, on a SBC?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:22 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by southern69chevy
a 3/8 spacer to fit between the bellhousing and the trans itself?
That has been made in the past for LS trans/slave/bell to mate to Gen I-II & BBC. I bought and sold one just to check the fitment but it's been years.

The bell backed away slightly might help starter clearance (not sure if necessary) and give you opportunity to use a sunken head bolt to the block for the 7th bolt at 12:00.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Link doesn't work for me.. Are you saying you want to use the LS OEM hyd master/slave setup, on a SBC?
Yes I'm wanting to use the factory style hydraulic master/slave setup. Basically I'm wanting to put a 3/8 spacer between the bellhousing and trans instead of the bellhousing and block. I'm just seeing if anybody has done that to make it work.

Quick Reply: Ls1 t56 to SBC bellhousing question