Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch is slipping

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch is slipping

hey guys, i just dropped my trans to replace my bad slave cylinder, and my clutch wont stop slipping.

I have bled this thing with a mityvac, and the conventional way, and its still slipping.

when i use the mityvac, the pedal will feel really nice, then it seems to get a bit sloppy after a few days.

the weird part is if i put it in 4th or 5th gear while going slow (25mph) and floor the throttle, it doesnt slip at all, but when i am over 2000 rpm and hit the gas the clutch slips.

could it just be a bleeding problem, or could the slave i put in be defective? The clutch only has about 15,000 miles on it and it held perfect before i replaced the slave
Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds to me like your master cylinder has air in it. In the first few days that you have it bled does it slip at all or no? If not you are introducing air into the system somewhere.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what you are talking about. If you have air in the system the clutch will not disengauge. Slipping clutch after you changed the slave? suspect the slave cyl is not allowing the pressure plate to release.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
Sounds to me like your master cylinder has air in it. In the first few days that you have it bled does it slip at all or no? If not you are introducing air into the system somewhere.
i bled it about 5 times today with the mityvac, and even though my clutch felt nice, when i took it for a drive when i was done it slipped.

i also have no problems and no grinding when going through the gears, everything is as smooth as possible
Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spaz1
Not sure what you are talking about. If you have air in the system the clutch will not disengauge. Slipping clutch after you changed the slave? suspect the slave cyl is not allowing the pressure plate to release.
last time when i changed my clutch it was slipping really badly until i bled it with the mityvac, once i did that it quit slipping.

i do completely understand your point, as when i thought about how everything worked, air in the lines shouldnt cause it to slip but it should cause it not to go into gear
Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air can 't cause it to slip... the clutch is normally engauged if it is working properly, with no pressure applied. you can disconnect the line and the clutch will still be engauged and shouldn't slip. If it wasn't slipping before and all you changed is the slave I would be looking into it being the wrong part or shimmed wrong. It isn't allowing the pressure plate to fully engauge.Did you do anything else? If it is an adjustable master and the compensation port is blocked it may keep pressure on the clutch...
Old 03-31-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spaz1
Air can 't cause it to slip... the clutch is normally engauged if it is working properly, with no pressure applied. you can disconnect the line and the clutch will still be engauged and shouldn't slip. If it wasn't slipping before and all you changed is the slave I would be looking into it being the wrong part or shimmed wrong. It isn't allowing the pressure plate to fully engauge.Did you do anything else? If it is an adjustable master and the compensation port is blocked it may keep pressure on the clutch...
all i did was the slave and pilot.

i bled it for about 2 hours today and it is still slipping, but a lot less. If i wasnt paying attention, i wouldnt notice it slipping.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

after driving today, my clutch only seems to be slipping when everything is cold, after 45min of driving it completely stops slipping, any ideas?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

time for a new clutch
Old 04-01-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by therobman
time for a new clutch
the clutch is new, it only has around 15,000 miles on it

it worked 100% perfectly fine before i took it out to replace the slave/pilot.

when i looked at the clutch there was almost no wear on it and the pressure plate and flywheel looked perfect
Old 04-01-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kind of clutch is it you symptoms sound just like mine and got progressivly worse untill i couldnt drive it
Old 04-01-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by therobman
what kind of clutch is it you symptoms sound just like mine and got progressivly worse untill i couldnt drive it
it is a stock replacement clutch, exedy/dk
Old 04-04-2010, 04:37 AM
TECH Resident

Your slave cylinder is engauged too far. The slave cylinder is constantly putting pressure on the pressure plate for some reason which causes the clutch to slip. Can you remove a shim from it?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:40 AM
TECH Resident

Also hopefully you havnt slipped it so much that it either glazed the clutch over or wore it down. Make sure you check it when you pull the tranny back out to check/remove the shim. Alot of aftermarket slave cylinders do not need the shim. When you buy a McLeod clutch it tells you how to tell if your shimming is correct. If I remember correctly its posted on their website.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks, there are no shims on the slave cylinder.

it seems to slip really bad when the car hasnt been driven for a while or is cold, but when everything warms up it wont slip at all.

it only really slips if give it excessive gas, if i drive easy on it it wont slip at all
Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

maybe you got fluid all over the disc then it started slipping and you toasted it. im with spaz bleeding will NOT help.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

unless there is a restriction in the master cyl line not allowing fluid to return, the problem is in the slave cyl itself.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
maybe you got fluid all over the disc then it started slipping and you toasted it. im with spaz bleeding will NOT help.
thanks, i cleaned the flywheel and pressure plate before putting them back in, so i know i didnt get anything on there

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
unless there is a restriction in the master cyl line not allowing fluid to return, the problem is in the slave cyl itself.
when i replaced my clutch i had this same exact problem, and bleeding took care of it. Bleeding this time also made it a lot better, but it is still slipping, and i dont think there is any air or anything in the lines.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same type of issue.
Clutch is a spec3+ about 10,000 miles on it.
Took the car on multiple high speed runs one day.
A week later my clutch pedal was releasing about 2 inches of the floor.
Checked my clutch reservoir found out I had no fluid. (research said my fluid may have been too hot. No signs of leaking)
So I spent multiple hours trying to bleed the system with no luck.(only worse)
Continued with the Drill Mod. Bench bleed the master cylinder until it felt strong.
Did I small bleed prior to running the car.no issues with the pedal.
Now the clutch is slipping. 4-6 gear seem to be the problems.
I doesn't seem to happen all the time or for how long.
The drill mod seems to have worked great. But why is the clutch slipping?
Oil? I do hear something spinning when I push the clutch in. Nothing that sounds alarming but I don't recall hearing it before.
I still believe it's oil, but I want to rule out everything. Is there any other problem solving I could do so i don't have to purchase a new clutch or new slave?

Last edited by transfan0186; 05-01-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: I replaced the slave and still have a slight slip. A few burnouts fixed the problem. Fuild on the disc.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the reply, my clutch is still slipping

not getting any hydraulic fluid loss, and i checked my flywheel area for oil and i didnt see any, my rear main wasnt leaking before i replaced the slave, so i doubt it just sprung a leak while replacing it.

i noticed today that after maybe 15min of driving my clutch stopped slipping, it usually takes a lot more time than that, but today was also the warmest day of the year so far.

Basically what happens is all of a sudden when im pulling from a stop sign or a red light my car will almost stall from letting the clutch out, which tells me its not slipping anymore since i change my driving habits when it slips.

still cant figure it out, i have bled the hell out of it, and it didnt fix it like last time.

I think it may be a defective slave

Quick Reply: clutch is slipping