Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch not releasing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch not releasing

ok, i am new to the t56, i have a stock 01 camaro t56 behind an 03 6.0 iron truck motor. i have been unable to get the clutch clearance correct to allow the clutch to disnegage and shift. my question is, would the clutch being worn out cause the clearance from the pressure plate fingers to the transmission face become too little? as in the fingers are out too far towards the trans, and the clutch is now completely non-functional? i have read all baout this on the shim thread, and thats how i'm measuring, but i'm getting a negative clearance, as in the difference is supposed to be 1/8" to 1/16", and i'm getting about -3/8". thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no. if the disc is worn out, the slave cylinder and pressure plate will still actuate enough to shift. it would just slip like crazy. and a stock clutch disc doesnt have 3/8" of material to wear off to cause that kind of issue.

one thing i think you should check is the distance the rear crank flange sticks out of the rear cover seal. if i recall correctly there were two different crankshaft designs on the 6.0L. if different from an LS1, the entire flywheel/PP assy is too far away from the trans and would cause the problem youre describing.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i thought that i read that the 00-01 6.0 with the iron heads was the only one to watch out for, but i might be wrong there. anyone know how far the crank should be sticking out? i will measure it tonight and see if thats it.