Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

easiest way to upgrade syncros?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default easiest way to upgrade syncros?

I want to upgrade my stock t-56 to use the syncros from either the GTO or Corvette version (2/3 cone instead of 1/2 cone). I've found a few threads about this but confused as to what's the easiest way to do it. Not looking for making it a lot stronger for high hp handling, just want the better syncros. I'm guessing that it will be more likely to rebuild mine rather than try to find a salvage GTO or Vette one to start (but going to the GTO ratios would be OK). Also I would not do this myself, but would the average type rebuilder know how to do it? What's the best way?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There's no way to modify your existing gears&synchros to work in a late-model double/triple cone setup. The least expensive way is to find a donor and get all the gears&synchros from it. Buying them all new would be outrageously expensive.

Most of the late-model C5/CTSv and some pre-2008 C6 transmissions can be directly transfered to a GTO T56 mainshaft, which is the "easiest" way I believe you're referring to. Any trans shop should be able to do it, but since most would never have done it or you would expect a warranty from, I doubt any shop would take it on unless you know them personally.

Basically you need to start by findng a donor C5/C6/CTSv T56. Then have it stripped apart and replace any parts worn/broken in it. Order a GTO mainshaft. Order any upgraded aftermarket pieces (bronze fork pads, billet keys, etc.), and get someone to install/setup everything inside your T56 case. Once done, you can resell any of your internal parts that are still servicable, to recoup some of your $..

good luck

Feel free to PM with questions if attempting this, and later if your builder runs into anything.

Last edited by 85MikeTPI; 04-26-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell your unit and buy a GTO unit.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
LOL.. yes, that is the easiest way... Sometimes I can't see the forest with all the damn trees in the way...
Old 04-27-2010, 10:21 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource

And keep your f-body offset shifter block.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OK thanks, will go with a GTO version. So that would just need my fbody bellhousing and shifter block? I've changed shifters a few times but don't recall what it mounts onto - is that something that can just be bolted on/off the case? And same for the bellhousing?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything is the same. Just swap over the shift lever.

Quick Reply: easiest way to upgrade syncros?