Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

monster clutch chatter

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default monster clutch chatter

I have 400 miles on my monster stage 3 and this thing chatters so bad I'm waiting for it to self destruct. It is getting worse the more miles I put on it.

Is there a clutch for the lsx cars that does not chatter?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate
I have 400 miles on my monster stage 3 and this thing chatters so bad I'm waiting for it to self destruct. It is getting worse the more miles I put on it.

I can't speak for monster but I've heard from several others with stage 3's that they don't have any chatter after break-in or if so it's barely noticeable. Not sure why yours is so bad. A puck-style clutch is more prone to chatter than a full-faced disk like the stage 3+ that they used to sell. You can also get a full face with a twin disk setup (a big part of the reason why I just bought a twin disk).
Old 04-27-2010, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

I know there is nothing anyone can figure out via the internet, just wondering if I'm alone on this problem.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

. Ive got a Monster stg 3 and yes it does chatter on take offs from stoplights and such. If your slipping it and daily driving it alot that is causing it. You need to go out and just let it rip and beat the hell outta the clutch. Whats happening is that when you slip the clutch your glazing it ever so slightly.

And yes a puck style clutch will always chatter a little bit. Once it starts doing it again, just go and beat on it, it will take it no problem.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Teching In

I have the stage 4 & still breaking it in & there is some noise on take off but the more aggressive i use it the more it likes it. i'm getting to learn how to engage it where there is no chatter at all. so i'm guessing you just need more time with it & maybe try to engage it quicker instead of slipping so much at least it's working for me.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I cant speak on the Monster Stg 3. On my old 97 I had a SPEC Stage 2, which was a full face disc. We didn't resurface the flywheel during the install, and for 3,000 miles the chatter just really pissed me off enough, it never went away. I bought a new disc from SPEC, resurfaced the flywheel and the pressure plate, and went it, and after a nice soft break in, there was virtually no chatter (except slightly when the clutch was slipped very slow).. It took about 800 miles for it to get REALLY smooth this time, so give it some time, and make sure your break-in is gentle
Old 04-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

I know there is nothing anyone can figure out via the internet, just wondering if I'm alone on this problem.
Your not alone, mine still does it after 700 miles. Like stated above take it out and beat the crap out of it,dump the clutch a few times most of it will go away.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Mine chattered a lot at first also. I thought something was wrong. It shook the car so bad from a dead stop it caused my tail shaft to leak and i had to redo the gasket.

Just make sure your dumping it from a stop and not slipping it. I'm at 500 miles on mine now and it is getting better.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1badSS
Your not alone, mine still does it after 700 miles. Like stated above take it out and beat the crap out of it,dump the clutch a few times most of it will go away.

+1! Do this and it will probably really help. Sometimes I'll get a little chatter when I'm driving around like grandma for too long. Use the clutch like it was made to be used for a bit, and the chatter stops and the clutch feels like a stock one=butter smooth. I really love my stage 3 so far!

Quick Reply: monster clutch chatter