Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Arrrgh! Second Gear AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Arrrgh! Second Gear AGAIN!

While I'm replacing my stock shortblock at ~150K miles with a 402 I wanted to go ahead and freshen up my transmission. I had planned to just do a basic rebuild with a couple of minor upgrades (billet 1/2 and 3/4 keys and bronze 1-4 shift fork pads). But after breaking down the tranny tonight I find that 1/2 speed gear and syncro are trashed yet again. This the fourth rebuild for this tranny (2 pro and 2 by me) and the fourth 1/2 syncro and 2nd speed gear.

The first two rebuilds were when I was racing the car regularly, but I have made all of 2 passes since the last rebuild in 04, It has been jumping out of 2nd on soft downshifts for quite a while. I'm sure that a new speed gear, syncro assembly and shift fork will fix it. I just was hoping that I would not have to spend this cash again.

Just venting
Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you expect? Those parts are not going to stay looking new.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

And since it's happening on each rebuild, you should be looking at the clutch and hydraulics as a root cause. The synchronizer-blocker rings can only do so much if the drive train is not being released properly during shifts..
Old 04-29-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thesource
What did you expect? Those parts are not going to stay looking new.
Drat! I thought I bought the "indistructo" gears last time

I was just venting as this was just one of the relatively smaller jobs in this project and I was hoping not to have to have to replace anything major this time around. But it has been 6 years of driving with a pretty aggressive clutch. Funny part is most of the parts I thought would be worn out look to be fine. All stamped syncro keys were still good. Plastic shift fork pads showed almost no wear at all.

The first two rebuilds were only about a year apart, but hundreds of 1/4 and 1/8 mile passes. That was before the advent of the two best things to happen to the LS1 clutch, Adjustable masters and the drill-out mod.