Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting... the best way to shift into 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifting... the best way to shift into 2nd

What is the best way for shifting into 2nd from going all thru 1st

what i do currently is run the rpms up to near the redline, take the foot off the accelerator, push in the clutch, shift, let out the clutch fast, and floor the acclerator again

i usually chirp or have a little spin intially going into 2nd, LOW TRAC light comes on

basically granny shifting because i dont wanna bust a key or whatever in the gearbox but is this the "best way" to shift from 1st to 2nd?

i know its kind of a dumb question but i'm just wondering what you guys think
Old 05-02-2010, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your shifting near redline everytime you shift and then dumping the clutch I don't forsee drivetrain longevity.

Smooth and easy works wonders.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

I think he is talking about shifting into 2nd while racing.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

redline, stab clutch, yank shifter, don't let off the gas. It's called power shifting, but you will break things.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Racing is a different story.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
redline, stab clutch, yank shifter, don't let off the gas. It's called power shifting, but you will break things.
thats how i do it. i start putting pressure on the shifter a little before so when i stab the clutch, its already heading towards the next gear. i just let my foot slide off the side of the pedal as soon as im in the next gear....if that makes senses. like said aboves, **** breaks. but when ur racin stuff is gonna break regardless, may as well push it to the limits
Old 05-02-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

come take lessons.. foot on floor - tap clutch - pull gear - tap clutch - push 3rd- tap clutch - pull 4th. you have to be pretty damn good at driving a stick to powershift and it took a few tries for me to get it down good, and i drive good, but i hate to see my syncro dog teeth next time i tear the tranny apart, prob have to faceplate it haha
Old 05-02-2010, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

yeah i get powershifting.. but i want to avoid that.. for obvious reasons hahaha

i'm talking regular shifting like

rev up to rev limiter, stab clutch, go into 2nd, and drop the clutch, floor gas pedal..

my tires spin in the begging in 2nd and the car jerks... THIS is the part i'm asking if its bad on the driveline cuz i'm basically dumping the clutch into 2nd gear..
Old 05-03-2010, 07:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mammoth713
my tires spin in the begging in 2nd and the car jerks... THIS is the part i'm asking if its bad on the driveline cuz i'm basically dumping the clutch into 2nd gear..
i think you know the answer. of course its bad for the driveline. the only options are 1, dont race, or 2, slip the clutch on the 1-2 shift so the tires dont spin.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mammoth713
yeah i get powershifting.. but i want to avoid that.. for obvious reasons hahaha

i'm talking regular shifting like

rev up to rev limiter, stab clutch, go into 2nd, and drop the clutch, floor gas pedal..

running to the redline EVERY time you hit 2nd is not regular shifting. i really hope youre not driving like that on the street every day.