Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

mcleod street twin: loose sounding engagement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation mcleod street twin: loose sounding engagement?

Hello everyone.

I have recently installed a McLeod street twin clutch, and I absolutely LOVE the thing.

438rwhp, Dana 60 rear, and a viper mainshaft T56. This was the final piece. It now has 2000 miles on it, and I have a concern about the engagement..

When I let the clutch out, sometimes it makes a sound like when you would drop a marble into a tin can and it bounces up and down a couple times. I know that is an awkward comparison, but that is kind of what it sounds like.

I have noticed it more when taking off and letting the clutch out not slow, but not dumping it either. It’s definitely a first gear thing too, as it is only when taking off.

Anyone else experience this? I haven’t noticed any performance issues with it.. yet. So if this is a precursor to something wrong, I would rather know now before something bad happens.

Thanks, and feel free to ask more questions to clarify what this sound is...

Cody

Last edited by FirebirdStud; 05-03-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I suppose background info is needed:
I installed the Mcleod adjustable master, along with a brand new GM hose and Slave at that same time. I bled it for an hour off the car with the mighty vac, bench bleeding, and letting gravity do its thing too. The shifting is firm and the pedal travel seems fine. Just wanted to clear that up.

I did have to take it to get balanced a second time, because the first shop did a poor job. Those are the only modifications to this. I have put the washers back in the exact spot that the clutch showed up with.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Teching In

I've had precisely the same problem with my macleod twin disc. definitely interested to see if this generates any answers. other than the noise in first like you described i've had no issues with it
Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good to hear I am not the only one and have a defective clutch or something.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Teching In

I read in another post where someone was talking about an identical issue with another brand of twin disc clutch. A response was posted that along the lines of it being driven too slow during take offs and cruising therefore a glaze was building up on the discs.. take it out and let it take off the line and break it in.. I don't know if this entirely true but I think i'll try it in the name of taking care of my car
Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OutlawMedic
I read in another post where someone was talking about an identical issue with another brand of twin disc clutch. A response was posted that along the lines of it being driven too slow during take offs and cruising therefore a glaze was building up on the discs.. take it out and let it take off the line and break it in.. I don't know if this entirely true but I think i'll try it in the name of taking care of my car
hmm, that could be in my case. I drove it nice the first 500 miles, and now the last 1500 was a road trip of 9 hours out to the black hills, then driving in the black hills, and driving home. So it hasn't had any high rpm drops or anything...

what do you suggest for the breaking it in that you speak of?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

You know, this sound only happens when I am already rolling, and I put it in first to take off. When I take off from a dead stop, if I dont rev it high enough she chatters a little bit but wont make that tinging noise. Same with yours OutlawMedic?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:24 PM
FormerVendor

The best advice I have is to put it on a lift and put a stethoscope on it. Try to simulate the sound the best you can. Look at the fork area especially the T stud.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Billy M
The best advice I have is to put it on a lift and put a stethoscope on it. Try to simulate the sound the best you can. Look at the fork area especially the T stud.
Hmm, do these wear out? Is that possible? My car has 123xxx on the clock, and I have owned it since 89xxx without doing anything with that T stud...
Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FirebirdStud
Hmm, do these wear out? Is that possible? My car has 123xxx on the clock, and I have owned it since 89xxx without doing anything with that T stud...
I would say probably not wearing out, but the LT-1 "T-Studs" are notorious for rubbing on the pressure plate cover which can lead to a metal to metal sound.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would say probably not wearing out, but the LT-1 "T-Studs" are notorious for rubbing on the pressure plate cover which can lead to a metal to metal sound.
Oh really? straight from you guys your clutch doesn't fit sometimes? That seems odd that there was no mention of that in the instructions to check to make sure that it fits it there. I have had the clutch out a second time for balancing issues and I didn't see any scraping, but Ill pull the slave off and peer in there when I get a chance to check the T stud and the plate. thanks for the heads up, I would have had no idea to look at that!
Cheers
Old 05-11-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

just opened her up, and no signs of scraping on the fork or the pressure plate. I wonder what else it could be?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:21 PM
FormerVendor

I am going to ask a series of questions so bare with me:

When the car is dead stopped and the clutch pedal is completely pressed down, does the clutch make the noise?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am going to ask a series of questions so bare with me:

When the car is dead stopped and the clutch pedal is completely pressed down, does the clutch make the noise?
absolutely, I would like to figure out what this is.

To answer your question: no.

I only notice the sound when the car is already moving slowly, and I let the clutch out to go.