Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

This clutch work for an lt1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default This clutch work for an lt1?

So the time has come, I'm finally getting close to having the car running for the year again. I'm down to the last part I need.. Which is kind of funny, as it was the reason the car originally went down for last year.. But you all know how that goes.. "oh hell, lets buy a set of heads.. OOH look! suspension. ECT! lol.

But now I'm down to needing just the clutch. I'm trying to find a decent clutch that wont break the bank, but also wont be done in a months time.. I'm on a very tight budget right now and I don't want to spend a ton of money on it because next year the 408 with an F1 listed in my sig will be going in... no point in buying the street twin I want for an LT1 when it wont work on next years set up!

I've found this set which actually is on ebay.. don't worry it's not one of those "F1 racing" or "XTD" ones. It's a mcleod. When it shows up, it says it's an 11" set up. but if you google the numbers, it shows up as a 10.4" set up..

I'm not good at all with trans/clutches I'm learning that next winter with the new combo.

Would this be a decent clutch and more importantly would it work in my LT1 set up?

Mcleod setup on ebay

If not, could some of you recommend a clutch kit in that price range?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

It says it's for an lt1. I just hope it's not the one in the picture because that will not work on an lt1. List what's done to the car or power numbers and that will help pick out the clutch
Old 05-05-2010, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

I knew I was forgetting something! I have no clue where I'm at power wise. I've got a set of ported heads, nothing really nice just a really cheap set I found. Cam is 236/242 .555/.576 with my 1.6 rockers. Slp mid tube's to a blow master back. And I think that's about it.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

most likely that pic is the catalogue 'generic" McLeod pic Jegs uses...often it says "image may not be image of part # for you application" bla bla type of thing.

That DF clutch for LT1 by McLeod should work well with a head/cam combo.

If it is all about 5k clutch dumps with a tire at the track you might want to consider a ceramic 4-6 puc disc type clutch...or even a street twin.

McLeod also just sells that disc and some people just but a $160 auto parts store clutch and use the McLeod disc. The ebay $ has that matched or beat on $ though.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Well that's good to hear about that ebay linked one from Jeggs.

There won't be any 5K clutch dumps on this set up, unless I am able to buy the 9" that I've been wanting. Gotta keep it easy on the stock glass bottle of a rear end for right now. And I dont' want to spend the money on a street twin for the LT1.. I'm building a forged 408 with an F1 procharger and shooting for around 18+pounds of boost next year.. So NEXT year I'll buy the Street twin.. but until then just something cheap and decent to get me by on the old and slow LT1 powered car.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Sk8phreak88
but until then just something cheap and decent to get me by on the old and slow LT1 powered car.

Thanks for the replies guys!
if it is just a band aid clutch for a stock or mild bolt on motor...just buy a auto parts store "replacement" clutch for under $200

then when you put the big dawg in get a twin.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thumbs down

Looked this up on Jegs...

http://www.jegs.com/i/McLeod/673/75217/10002/-1

Looks like it is a 10.4 SBC clutch, not LT1

Quick Reply: This clutch work for an lt1?