Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Basic clutch alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Basic clutch alignment question

I'm doing my first clutch swap and put the alignment tool (plastic) in as I'm assembling the Mcleod twin. I noticed that it doesn't exactly hold it centered as in I can move the discs probably 1/8" in any direction while holding the tool. Do you just try to hold it centered as best as possible while starting to tighten the PP bolts to hold the discs? I mean once you first push the clutch in after you're done installing it then it should all center itself out right? I just want to make sure the discs are aligned right and won't cause me any alignment issues as I push the torque tube/rear end back into place.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, start the pressure plate bolts and then start tightening to sequence while constantly checking to make sure the tool is in alignment, It helps to actually push the tool in firm and hold it, that helps maintain the center.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RARON455
yeah, start the pressure plate bolts and then start tightening to sequence while constantly checking to make sure the tool is in alignment, It helps to actually push the tool in firm and hold it, that helps maintain the center.
I understand what you're saying but even when the tool is pushed all the way in and I let go then the disks are lower than they should be (gravity pushing the disks down). If it rotate the flywheel 180 degrees and look at it again while leaving the tool all the way in then the disks have "dropped" a little just due to gravity. I hope that makes sense. I'm basically saying that I'm going to have to hold it centered - at least what I think is centered - while I start tightening the bolts. Is this common and if it's not perfectly centered when I tighten down the PP then what's the effect?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its common on all plastic tools because they are just a mass produced tool to get you close. Just do you best to keep it centered. I've never worked on a Vette but generally, if the trans wont slide in and seat, it's not close enough. Some people will tell you to pull it down with the bell housing bolts, those people would be stupid. Just make sure you keep it centered and you should be fine. I've never had to redo the alignment because I couldn't keep it centered.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by raven154
Its common on all plastic tools because they are just a mass produced tool to get you close. Just do you best to keep it centered. I've never worked on a Vette but generally, if the trans wont slide in and seat, it's not close enough. Some people will tell you to pull it down with the bell housing bolts, those people would be stupid. Just make sure you keep it centered and you should be fine. I've never had to redo the alignment because I couldn't keep it centered.
Thanks - If the torque tube/trans wont go any further forward due to misalignment I can easily pull it back out of the way and realign the clutch.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

another thing you can do is sequentially tighten the pressure plate bolts just to the point where the clutch disc is hard to move, then with a little drag on the disc, center it up and it wont slide no more,, then tighten the PP and you should be good to go...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

I actually got it in last night. Ended up pulling the pressure plate off again to put some loc-tite on the floater ring nuts. Anyways, I just held it as centered as I thought and then slowly tightened a couple of the PP bolts to hold it there. This time the alignment tool was real easy to pull in and out so I knew it must've been good (that and the fact that the splines matched up on my first try Of course I had to jack the side of the tranny up a little since the whole thing was twisted to one side (wasn't that way when I removed it - trans jack must've moved a little over the past week). Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Basic clutch alignment question