Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T/A on the ramps...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T/A on the ramps...

ok so, today me and my uncle was taking out the T-56...got driveshaft off, unbolted, sensors off, etc... our issue is, why the hell won't the tranny pull out? it got dark on us and mosquito's ate us up so we stopped until Friday ( have skool tmrw nite )...Is their a trick? must the bellhousing be unbolted? I took out the Hanes and it mentioned taking the bellhousing bolts off but why? what do you guys suggest?

car is suppost to be in "N", I can push the clutch in, it will break the seam release the clutch and it pulls the tranny back in and seals it again...

all info is appriciated, no rush to get it out, cause clutch and hydrolics isan't here yet.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bell housing stays on, might have to do a lil prying just be careful because its a handful.. Of course you are sure you have all the bolts out of the trans. It happens sometimes they get stuck.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RARON455
Bell housing stays on, might have to do a lil prying just be careful because its a handful.. Of course you are sure you have all the bolts out of the trans. It happens sometimes they get stuck.
pretty sure all bolts are out, crossmember is off... have the shifter under the boot ( console is off ). just keep the tranny flush and pull out tword the rear?
I was hoping you guys knew a trick to it cause it is a handful...
Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

There is a bolt way up on top.

Mine was a trick to get out too. Once we had everything unbolted, it just didn't want to budge. It took a little while of twisting and pulling, but it finally came out.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SuperSport346
There is a bolt way up on top.

Mine was a trick to get out too. Once we had everything unbolted, it just didn't want to budge. It took a little while of twisting and pulling, but it finally came out.
hmmm bolt way up on top...I know I didn't get that one, wonder if my uncle seen it...will keep that in mind for friday's work. swivel work well?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
hmmm bolt way up on top...I know I didn't get that one, swivel work well?
Yeah. And I used a couple of extensions too.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

for the top ones I always use a **** load of extensions and reach thru the shifter opening, usally have someone under the car that lines up the socket and I break it from the drivers seat. U have alot more room to work the rachet then if u were under the cra with a U-joint
Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Yeah we used a swivel (but you don't want it to swivel too much. We wrapped some tape around it. As these guys said, you'll need some long extensions. We removed it from under the car, but going through the shifter opening seems like it might be easier.

I know it was a pain in the butt. I really wish I had a lift, since I have to drop the tranny again here pretty soon. Somewhere along the line we screwed something up, and it won't go into 6th gear now (Whoops!).

Don't know what you're replacing, if it's just the clutch or not. I found a really good place for T56 parts, so if you want info let me know.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

do way we did it was unbolt the trans from the bell housing, it made it easier to get to that top bolt, then removed the bell housing and then the clutch and flywheel
Old 05-13-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

we defently used swivel and extentions, just not sure if we got the top ones. i know there was ones on the high sides but unsure of the top...o well Friday we'll find out, worst come to worst, well take the bellhousing off with it
Old 05-13-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

does anybody have a good picture of the top of a T56? I do not see any bolts ON TOP of the tranny...high sides yes but no top
Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
unbolt the trans from the bell housing, it made it easier to get to that top bolt, then removed the bell housing and then the clutch and flywheel
this.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

I let the trans hang to give me the extra room and a few feet of extensions.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are 6 bolts on the trans, the top ones are on the top sides at 11 and 1 oclock. Those are the ones u get from the interior with a lot of extensions. I use a tranny jack or a jack to lower the tail end down a bit then break em loose. I just dropped my tans last night to do my clutch and had the clutch out in 2 hrs
Old 05-14-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

yeah, I got the trans out now, missed those top bolts....one was a bitch cause it had a bracket on it, couldn't get around it....didn't go thru the interior, just swivel and extentions to the top. Y-pipe got in my way but we made it happen. for install, the Loudmouth is coming OFF!

as for clutch and flywheel, pffft...another day!

but thanks guys...
Old 05-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
do way we did it was unbolt the trans from the bell housing, it made it easier to get to that top bolt, then removed the bell housing and then the clutch and flywheel
Exactly how I did it, and it worked slick! Do it this way and you wont have many problems!!

Vince
Old 05-15-2010, 06:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDB
There are 6 bolts on the trans, the top ones are on the top sides at 11 and 1 oclock. Those are the ones u get from the interior with a lot of extensions.
HTH do you do that? I've never heard or seen it done this way. What makes it easier than from under the car?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
HTH do you do that? I've never heard or seen it done this way. What makes it easier than from under the car?

With the console and the shifter out there is a nice hole to work the racket in. Use a few feet of extensions and weork the rachet in the car, no need for a U-joint so you have more tq to work with. Its worked multi times as I usally have my trans and clutch out in 2 hours or less and thats counting gettin the car on the stands
Old 05-15-2010, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

hmm, i guess ive never looked to see how the angle is from inside when pulling a trans. never thought of it. always took the trans from the bell housing and then the bellhousing from the engine.

Quick Reply: T/A on the ramps...